News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Identifying unknown LED colors

Started by Bret608, May 16, 2012, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

What's a good way to find out what color LEDs are if you have a mess of unmarked ones? Without frying them (as I've recently managed to accomplish), that is?  :P

pickdropper

Personally, I would just use a breadboard.  Put the CLR on the board and just plug in each LED, making sure you have the right orientation.  It'll go pretty fast.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

Buy a 3v coin battery. That is what I do. Just split the legs with the battery and presto.
John

Bret608

Thanks to both of you! Folks here usually give me a variety of solutions--both low and high tech--and I love that!

DutchMF

You could also use a DMM, that's how I double check the orientation of them before soldering. Set it to diode testing, and when it lights up, the leg where the black lead is should go to ground (at least with my DMM)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

Paul, thanks, I do have a DMM so that could be the ticket!

Just to make sure I'm understanding, are you saying I'd put the black lead on the negative/short leg and the red one on the positive/longer leg?

culturejam

Some DMMs do not output enough voltage to work with LEDs. Neither of the DMMs I own will measure the forward voltage on an LED. But my Atlas LCR lights 'em up.

You can also get one of these:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LT-100/LED-TESTER/1.html
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

oldhousescott

Take a battery snap and solder a resistor in series with either lead, something in the range of 1k to 4.7k. Plug in your 9v and test your LEDs by touching the legs to the leads. Alligator clips make this easier.

alanp

I remember which way around LEDs go by looking inside them -- the small tab is positive, and the large tab is negative.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on May 18, 2012, 11:36:16 AM
Paul, thanks, I do have a DMM so that could be the ticket!

Just to make sure I'm understanding, are you saying I'd put the black lead on the negative/short leg and the red one on the positive/longer leg?

I'll have to get back to you on this one, as I don't exactly remember what goes where..... As I said in my earlier post, if it lights up, the leg where the black lead is needs to go to ground. Don't know if that is the long or short one, I'll grab me an LED this afternoon and check it out.
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

I appreciate all the suggestions on how to do this--I haven't had a chance to try my DMM on an LED yet, but will report back. I have to say I'm liking that LED tester that Culturejam provided the link for!

Bret608

Hi all,

My DMM accomplished this in spades. Thanks for the tip, Paul! It's a $6 Centech multimeter from Harbor Freight tools at that.

I just touched the black test lead to the short leg and the red one to the long leg.

Cheers,

Bret