News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Orange Tiny Terror

Started by masterlk, May 17, 2012, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterlk

Hey folks,

I figured someone here would have some experience with these since they have sold tons of them. I am just curious your thoughts on this amp for 1) a bedroom amp and 2) a gigin' amp. Pros and cons. I have read and heard many things online but just wanted some feedback from folks here.

Thanks.

Nick

dwstanford

I've owned one and it was a great little amp.  Not loud enough to gig with in my experience, but that depends on how loud you need it to be.  It has a great tone for any hard rock type stuff, but that's the kind of stuff you may need a louder amp for if you're gonna play live with it.  The dual terror or the th30 are both really good larger versions of the same sort of thing. Both can be attenuated down to 7 watts for bedroom levels also.  Overall, the tiny terror is a pretty versatile amp and works well for recording.  It responds pretty well to pedals and if youre feeling adventurous, mercury magnetics has transformer upgrade kits for it that will make it sound a hundred times better (way more headroom and dynamics). I got an upgrade kit for my vox ac4 and it has turned into my go to recording amp for just about everything.

TheCobbenator

Hmm. Well my roommate/bandmate has had one for many years now. I thought it was fantastic at first, but I'm pretty over it. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to contradict, but I don't think it takes pedals well at all. It's too warm to play clean much and just sounds like it's trying to be something it's not. I'm just kind of over orange amps altogether I think.  I do however love my AC4 to death and need to look into modding it some to make it even better. Hmmm!

gtr2

I've got one.  It sounds nice.  I've used it successfully playing with live drums, but you won't be clean at that volume, so you better like the overdrive you are getting.  Even at 7 watts it's still loud for bedroom playing with it full out.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

calciferspit

Its my main amp. I sold my soldano astroverb because the terror trumps it in every way. I can't get a bad tone out of it. Mine loves pedals, and with a clean boost I can easily play loud and clean in a band setting. I play a jazzmaster through a 1x15 cab. I've never gotten to the top of the controls or wished that it pushed more and I play LOUD. And it sounds just as good in the bedroom. I actually prefer the 7 watt mode for playing in AND out, as I can't really tell the difference in volume, but the 15 watt mode is noisier at higher gain. As far as transformer upgrades, I'd advise to stay away. Most folks that i've talked to that did it, regretted it. Made it too sterile and almost solid state sounding.

Matt Gnarly

I've never tried the Tiny Terror, I tried the Dark Terror today and thought it was horrible, I couldn't get a usable clean, pushed or high gain tone from it. The Orange OR15 looks pretty good, I'm waiting for the shops to carry them locally before taking the plunge but the clips I've heard have been pretty good.

masterlk

Great feedback guys. Interesting about the tranny upgrades....some yay and some nay. More coments are welcome.

GermanCdn

I've tried out the TT, was not crazy about it, no particular reason, just didn't suit me.  For the same money, I picked up a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, and it is a stellar little head.  Two footswitchable channels, three band tonestack,  effects loop, and it is switchable at 1W, 5W, and 18W.  Sounds phenonmenal through a 4X12.  And it looks really cool with the plexiglass front and the blue back lighting.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.