News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low volume Runt

Started by NightOwl, May 20, 2012, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightOwl

I'm having some problems with a Madbean Runt build.

The issue is that the output volume of the engaged effect is very low.  With the gain and volume all the way up, it's still not nearly as loud as the bypassed signal.  The effect does work though, all of the pots operate as they should and it sounds correct, just at very low volume.

It worked briefly at the correct volume when I first tested it, however I had wired up the LED backwards.  After I rewired the LED the correct way, it now is at very low volume.  I've quadruple checked all of the joints that i changed for the LED, and I see no problem with them.  I've even completely removed the LED from the circuit to check if that was causing an issue, and there's no change.  I'm guessing that the timing was just a coincidence.

I have double checked my parts values and orientation, as well as reflowed any joints that I thought might have been suspect.  I've triple checked the wiring and it is wired correctly.  My guess is that a part isn't working correctly, but I'm not sure how to narrow it down to the problem.  For some reason, my gut is telling me that it might be the Q1 transistor however this is just a guess and I'm not sure how to check that with my meter.

I have used all stock parts except I have dropped my CLR for the LED down to 1k.

Here are my voltage measurements:
Positive lead at jack/battery. = 8.96
9V in at board = 8.96
Ground in at board = 14 mV
IC pins 1 through 8 = 8.27, 4.61, 4.5, 8.91, 4.04, 4.5, 0, 32 mV
Each pin of transistor = D 8.91, S 5.48, G 4.04

If needed, I can post some pictures tomorrow.  Thanks for any help you might be able to give, I'm starting to pull my hair out over this thing!

mgwhit

I think you're numbering your IC pins wrong.  Looks like you started in the right place, but alternated left-right from the top down.  If that's what you did, your IC voltages are good, but you should be starting to the left of the dimple and moving counter-clockwise around the chip.

If that's not how you counted them, this is a stunning coincidence and your IC pin voltages are @#$%ed.

Your Q1 voltages are reading high, though.  You should be getting no more than half your VC there.  You're getting an appropriate VB voltage on (the real) pin 3 of your IC, which makes me agree that your JFET might be wonky.  Did you use a 2n5457?

Pictures always help, if you can.  Good luck!

NightOwl

:-[ you're right, I alternated the pins on the IC.  So if I got the pin #s right the correct order would be:
1-8: 8.27, 4.5, 4.04, 0, 32 mV, 4.5, 8.91, 4.61

I am using a 2n5457 ordered from smallbear I believe.  Unfortunately if it is the transistor, I'm going to have to wait until I order another one to swap it out.  I only have a spare J201 and an old NTE85.

I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow afternoon and hopefully that will help.  Thanks!

gtr2

It sounds like you may have signal leaking to ground.  Did you double check with a magnifying glass for any solder bridges?

An audio probe would be a good tool to use to help trouble shooting as well.  You can work your way through the circuit and see where your loosing signal.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

NightOwl

So I'm trying to debug again tonight, and while I was rechecking everything again I noticed that I do in fact have a part substitution.  For C9, the 1 uF capacitors I ordered are electrolytic caps, and are polarized.  The schematic shows a non-polarized cap in there for C9.  After looking at the schematic I oriented the cap negative "up", or facing towards the volume pot lug #3.

Which brings me to the question, could this be causing the problem?  Is it important that the cap there is non-polarized?  Or perhaps I have wired it in backwards?

Anyhow, that's the only thing I have found so far, even if it isn't the problem.  I'm off to make an audio probe now and take some pictures!

Thanks all!

mgwhit

If I were going to put an electrolytic there, I would orient it the way you've done it, with the + side facing the DC current on the JFET and the - side facing the circuit output.  I doubt that's your problem.

NightOwl

Ok, I've since found a couple of resistors that were reading ~55k when they should be 100ks, and I've replaced them.  However no change yet.  I've taken pictures, I hope they help:

madbean

Your soldering looks good and parts seem okay from what I can see. I think an audio probe at pin6, lug3 of the Cut pot and the gate and source of Q1 will tell the tale here.

mgwhit

Quote from: NightOwl on May 21, 2012, 02:56:33 PM
Ok, I've since found a couple of resistors that were reading ~55k when they should be 100ks, and I've replaced them.  However no change yet.  I've taken pictures, I hope they help:

If you were measuring R10 and R11 while they were in-circuit they were probably fine.  You can never get a good reading without isolating them.  (You can also really monkey things up by taking resistance readings in-circuit if the board is powered up.  Be careful!)

Your soldering looks great.  There does appear to be a little crud on the input leg of C1.  Probably just flux, but I'd see if I could gently pick that off.  You're going in the right direction with the audio probe, though.  Just make sure you have your amp set pretty low before you probe pin 6!

NightOwl

OK, I've built the audio probe and have been probing like crazy.  I know just enough about this stuff to get into trouble, so I'll put my results up and perhaps someone more experienced than myself can help me diagnose the problem.

Lug 3 of the Cut pot:  Same signal as the output, low volume effected.  Adjusting the pot makes no change in the sound

Pin 6 of the IC:  Louder than the output with more low end, not as clear or bright as the output.

Q1 Gate: Same as output
Q1 Source: Identical to the gate
Q1 Drain:  Louder than the input signal sounds like Pin 6 of the IC

Other observations: When the positive of the probe is not connected, I can hear the effected signal.  When I touch the probe to the casing of the gain pot the signal is much louder and clearer than the output signal.  Lug one of the gain pot is incredibly loud and a bit muddy. (this was done with the gain on full)  I also notice that touching lug 1 of the gain pot, makes the effect seem to function correctly when the positive of the probe is disconnected!

My inexpert guess:  Due to the casing of the gain pot, could a bad pot putting signal to ground be causing this?

I hope this helps, thank you all for your assistance so far.  I feel like I must be getting close to the root of the problem!

mgwhit

Is your signal at IC1 pin 6 as loud as you would expect the pedal to be at close to full volume?  Or just louder than your input signal.  It should be loud as hell at that point.

I don't think you should notice the Cut effect if you're probing pin 3 of the Cut pot -- you're short circuiting the signal before the sweep of the pot.  Does adjusting the Cut pot affect the output sound?

If you're getting a significantly lower signal at lug 3 of the Cut pot than you are at IC1 pin 6, I recommend probing either side of R6 and C7.

NightOwl

OK, so R7 is definitely the right value, it's a Vishay 1k5 that I've double checked the number on the part as well as tested the rest of them I ordered.

The negative side of C7 is the same as the output signal, and the positive side of it is very loud and clear.

I appreciate the help!

mgwhit

Sorry!  I edited my original comment while you were writing.  Bad form on my part.

C7 should not be killing much signal, so my guess is that either C7 or one of your diodes is wonky.

NightOwl

The sweep of the Cut pot doesn't affect lug 3 to my ears.

Pin 6 is blow your eardrums out loud.  R6 tames it down a bit, but still quite loud.  C7 kills it to nothingness.  I'm going to replace C7 and see if that fixes it.  I will report shortly!

NightOwl

OK, replacing C7 changed the tonal character a little bit at the positive lug, but no overall change.  Same problem, and the volume drops considerably across C7.  I measured it with my MM before I put it in, and it was reading ~5.1 uF, so a bit higher than it should be.

So that makes you suspect one of the diodes is a problem?  How would I go about confirming that and pinpointing which one?  FYI the effect sounds great when I attach the positive probe to lug 3 of the gain pot, I just can't get that to the output jack it seems  :-\