News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Meet the "Psycho Fuzz"

Started by Bluestrat, May 20, 2012, 07:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluestrat

Straight ahead  Germanium Fuzz Face on vero with a couple of mods. Bias trimmer, added a pre-gain pot and a power switch. I hate having to unplug my battery operated fuzz pedals  ;D

Transistors are GT308's from Musikding in Germany. They sell lots of different types of GE trans all sorted by gain. Very reasonable prices. I got a variety of types to experiment with. These two are 70-80 and 80-90. Has a surprising amount of gain and it's freakin loud! Lots of great, great tones and range especially with the pre-gain. Cleans up very well and plays well with my other pedals too.

I socketed the output cap and tried several different types with the same rating. They all sounded different to my ears. For this pair I settled on a Wima box cap. Somewhat more harmonics and sustain.

Used an axial cap (I forgot to order a radial) and had to tip it to shut the bottom.

The enclosure is etched using PNP for the mask. The knobs are vintage. Sanded the blue led to diffuse it.

This is my favorite Fuzz so far!

REPTAR

Wow this is awesome.  Those knobs look pretty sweet.

sgmezei

Dude that's a sweet build. I love the etched enclosure! Did you use a particular layout or just make one?

murdog47

Haberdasher

that kicks ass, i like everything about it.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Cool knobs and awesome wiring = win!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Wow, what a great looking pedal.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

plesur

Full of win.

I love those knobs and the top etch too.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bluestrat

Thanks everyone for the the good words on this build.  :D

Quote from: sgmezei on May 20, 2012, 08:53:18 PM
Dude that's a sweet build. I love the etched enclosure! Did you use a particular layout or just make one?

I design the enclosures using photoshop. I love vintage knobs and buy them off Ebay. The designs often develop around the knobs I've selected. The swirl pattern on this pedal is stock vector art from depositphotos.com. The type face is "Rat Fink" a free font off the web. I usually start with the basic layout for the hardware then the labels and name of the pedal. Then I see what kind of pattern works to unify the overall look. I looked at 10 -12 patterns before selecting this one. The background pattern has been heavily modified in photoshop. Takes me longer to design the enclosure than to build the pedal!!!!!!!! :o

stecykmi

I love the knobs, they look like the communicators from star trek.

also sanding the lens of the LED to defuse the light is a good tip.

cool build!

raulduke

Its a corker mate.

Really, really, nice etching and overall look/design.

Vallhagen

Even your photos of the box are overthetopquality. Im impressed. And ohhhh i want those knobs too!

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

jimmybjj

Really nice, especially the wiring. Great job!!
Pcbs no longer available

k.rock!

Dude! This is sick!! I love the look of those knobs and the enclosure finish...it works great! And the insides look really cool too. Great job!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com