News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Macheen

Started by pandadandan, March 19, 2010, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

Thanks guys! Oh man, the Lunar Module name just SOUNDS so cool- I have to look that one up!!
Sent via soup cans and string.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Om_Audio on April 15, 2011, 07:37:11 AM
Thanks guys! Oh man, the Lunar Module name just SOUNDS so cool- I have to look that one up!!

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1904365
Just finished mine the other night. It sounds amazing. Lots of tonal options between the presence(bright) knob and the body(tone) knob.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 15, 2011, 05:46:23 PM
Quote from: Om_Audio on April 15, 2011, 07:37:11 AM

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1904365
Just finished mine the other night. It sounds amazing. Lots of tonal options between the presence(bright) knob and the body(tone) knob.  :)

I think all of us LA folk should get together and have a pedal geek convention/jam one of these days.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 15, 2011, 05:54:37 PM
I think all of us LA folk should get together and have a pedal geek convention/jam one of these days.

I'm into it!! I just put this same suggestion on a thread in the BYOC forum

Om_Audio

Sounds like a good idea!

drbob1

The build went well, except that this was my first pedal I had to order the BOM instead of a kit and it took 3 tries to get it all here! That said, it fired up right away. I don't remember how my earlier Machine acted and it didn't have the external trim knob, so a couple of questions:
1. Limit is pretty subtle-shifts the distortion just a bit but not a huge effect. The Ge diodes are mismatched because I broke one of my first pair. Is that a problem?

2. Adjusting the trim pot for most of it's travel is pretty quiet, then the last 30% is where all the magic happens. Is that right?

3. Adjusting the gain, it crackles and fades as I move the knob, then stabilizes when I stop moving it. Again, some of the early travel seems less useful as the unit loses volume (if both are under 50% it won't get up to unity, although if both are maxed it's DAMN loud!).

Does it sound like it's working correctly?

BTW, I got a "blem" prefinished enclosure from Pedalparts: fast shipping and a great product for a great price!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Drbob1-
I would suggest starting your own thread. Since you finished your build you could put it in the "Build Report" section, or in the "Tech Help" since that's what your asking for.
With that said your build sounds like its working correctly. The gain knob more so changes the "distortion" or gain where as the limit knob has to do with the crossover distortion. If you do a double stop bends you can hear it get more dramatic and more of a crazy filter sweep going on, the pedals "blooming" effect.
I noticed the trimpot sounded the best towards the end of the turn but after 50% is where I start really enjoying it. The higher the more dramatic the effect should be.
I'm not sure about the volume symptoms you are experiencing, but the knob should crakle, since its an SHO circuit(crackle okay!) Now you gotta make a build report and post pictures of the inside and outside!!  :) Congrats on your first Madbean pedal!

pandadandan

Here's a video where I turned down the trimpot in order to get a particularly horrible overdrive sound.

"Useful" is a very subjective word  ;) ;D

drbob1

Wow, that is awful in a glorious way! And yeah, that's kinda how it sounds, so I guess it's OK.

bigmufffuzzwizz

whoa neil thats some mean heavy stuff!!! I wanna take a video of some of the other extremes of the machine to show people what it can do!
Did you take those videos of wata?

brainbender

I like those weird pedals and I'd like to make one, but im not sure what should i play through it...  :D
Noise, industrial? Any sugestions? :-\

LaceSensor

Quote from: brainbender on August 02, 2011, 06:18:34 PM
I like those weird pedals and I'd like to make one, but im not sure what should i play through it...  :D
Noise, industrial? Any sugestions? :-\

The Machine can simply be used with another distortion or fuzz to really make leads pop.
sounds kinda synthy. Its not all just noise. But it can be  ;D

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'll be the using my Machine for pure rock n roll sonic bliss! It's supposed to be replicating the sound you'd get when you crank a high gain tube amp, which is where you'll hear crossover distortion. Like MB explains, it can be described as a blooming/sweeping effect. It really makes bends sound massive.

brainbender

Sounds interesting! I'll build it as soon as i get some more time for myself. I like weird effects. :)

Om_Audio