News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stopped by for a PC Board, bought an awesome album.

Started by Rich_S, October 03, 2012, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

I haven't been here for a while.  Workshop's too junked up with home remodeling projects to build pedals.  Anyway, I got a little bit of "funny money" in my PayPal account today, so I headed right here for a Mudbunny board (decided I need to build a steampunk Triangle Muff).  Anyway, I saw the ad for Brian's album.  Since I had a a few bucks left over after my bunny board, I bought the .MP3 download.

I'm not even halfway through, and I'm totally bowled over.  It kind of reminds me of Dada's Puzzle album, but that's not to say it's derivative; the similarity comes mostly from in the Strat-in-sparse arrangements tonality.  I hear occasional snippets of the band's varied influences: RHCP at their least funky (in a good way), Rush polyrhythms, some Devo-esque spastic rhythms.

Given his alter-ego Madbean, you'd expect an effects-fest, but the band's use of effects is fairly restrained.  Some tremolo and wah, spacey delay (as an effect, not as means a of music generation).  Mostly, it's the dirt sounds that impress me - several different levels of dirt from funky rhythms to soaring leads.

Brian, kudos on the album and a request:  would you be willing to share some tone secrets?  What gear did you use on the album, and were those Madbean effects?
I am using you; am I amusing you? - Martha Johnson