News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looper enclosures

Started by gtr2, October 06, 2010, 05:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

I'm starting to assemble items to make a looper with 4 to 6 loops with a master bypass.  I'm having a very hard time finding a suitable enclosure.  All I can find are the long skinny hammond type, but they look pretty subpar as far as a design standpoint with the exposed edges etc..  Anyone know where to purchase one that is similar to this1smyne?  http://www.this1smyne.com/product_list/custom/looper/

O and by the way.  If this doesn't belong in this Forum please don't be afraid to tell me.  :) I'm not sure what the protocol is for non-madbean project discussions.

Thx

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Josh, this forum is open to all discussions related to DIY, not just madbeanpedals stuff. I'm taking the same approach as the BYOC forum, where there are many other commercial products and offerings that are discussed.

Anyway, I assume you are talking about these:

Those are the only ones I know of really for loopers.

It looks similar to this one, except the edges are folded inside the enclosure:

But, the screw placement is different, so I'm thinking this guy might be making his own with sheet metal.

You could possibly make one out of 3 or 4 1590B's linked together with bolts. I had thought about doing that a few years ago, but never got around to it. With the 1590B, I bet you could get three switches and 6 jacks in each.

CapnCrunch

I am only familiar with the Hammond enclosure that Madbean attached.  PPP carries them, as do others I'm sure.  I don't really like the looks of them either.  I was thinking of building a looper a while back and did some research.  I contacted a couple of sheet metal places to get quotes on what they would charge to bend the enclosures for me.  I was mildly surprised by the price.  They were definitely more than the mass produced Hammonds but not as much as I thought they might be.  One small shop quoted me around $30 for an enclosure large enough for 6 loops, a master by-pass and a tuner out (I think it was 2 1/2 x 2 x 16) and that was out of heavy guage aluminum.  If your near a larger city, you should check out the yellow pages.

I didn't end up building mine, because there are other things that I need more.  I haven't got those built or bought either.  Gotta love this economy.   >:(

Grendahl

I've seen looper boxes made with metal studs (yes, the kind you'd use to frame a wall with) and they turned out quite nice.

Here's a link for a how-to. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems intriguing.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm

gtr2

Thanks everyone!  After thinking a bit, I may just do a 2 loop setup (clean/dirty) for now and keep it simple.  The metal stud idea is pretty good, but may be more metal working than I want.. :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

If you want to get really fancy, do it with relays and soft touch switches. That would be the ultimate design for a looper....no loud switch pops.

gtr2

Quote from: madbean on October 12, 2010, 05:46:52 AM
If you want to get really fancy, do it with relays and soft touch switches. That would be the ultimate design for a looper....no loud switch pops.

That's actually the plan.. :)  I've got two boards on the way to try out from amz-fx that utilize a AVR microprocessor and relay.  I just need to get some momentary switches.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aziltz

what about roadrageprogear.com ?  they might sell you a single drilled enclosure instead of the full kit.

jkokura

I asked them once - actually they were willing to sell me a couple, but they were pretty high priced - between 30 and 40 bucks for a 12 or 14 inch enclosure. I don't think we wants to get into being a supplier for enclosures for people. I think it might be worth getting a kit though, but when I priced it out for myself I know that I can still do it for much cheaper than the kit sells for.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Custom Aluminum Boxes.com

Hi Everyone,  the Looper Boxes you are looking for are made by Markm330@gmail.com  or go to Custom Aluminum Boxes.com   www.CustomAluminumBoxes.com

Thanks for your interest in our products

Mark M
Custom Aluminum Boxes

Om_Audio

Would this be possible for a simple 1 or 2 loop box in a 1590b do you think?

Quote from: madbean on October 12, 2010, 05:46:52 AM
Sent via soup cans and string.

TNblueshawk

Where you at Grindcustoms?

Rej digs loopers Josh. You could check with him on enclosures.
John

gtr2

umm..this thread was from two years ago..  Many places now offer what I was looking for.  But I'm no longer looking, nor did I ever buy one  LOL :D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

:o

Whoo hoo...I'm an idiot  :-[
John

GrindCustoms

Hahaha! Thanks for the time travel John! ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/