News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some Pix of my Weener (Wah)

Started by Haberdasher, February 22, 2012, 05:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

For those interested.  I finally quit playing with it long enough to take a couple of photos for you enjoy.  I guess I really do need to leave this thing alone for a while.

Built in a craigslist gbc95 enclosure.  A few hairballs inside, but not too horrible.  Sorry no photos of the exterior, because I didn't do a single thing to it except clean it up a bit.  Nothing thrilling.  I really wasn't even going to do a build report but I wanted to endorse the product and give it the thumbs up.

The big button trannie is a 2n3569.  I bought 2 of them on ebay.  One of them was about right for q2 in a ff and the other one had a gain of about 350 and that's the one I used here.  Very cool looking.

So like I was saying, this is the most awesome wah I've ever played.  I still don't have it tweaked quite right I think, but it already sounds unbelievable.  It's just like Brian said- it's like it is puking up wah sounds. I loved it straight into the clean channel, but I couldn't wait to try it with the output buffer and some dirt. I didn't have my fuzz face handy so I fed it into my gruntbox, which is a triangle.  Holy freaking cow.  MONSTER toan.  This is what I'm talking about.  Now I need to get some delays happening.

Anyway, thanks to madbean for another great project.
Thanks to JakeFuzz and timbo for all the tips.
And thanks to jimmybjj for letting me peep that wiring scheme.  Which I totally ripped off and based mine on.  Those 2 ground pads up top really came in handy for the sleeves and I don't know it would have occurred to me to use them if not for your report.

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

Looks great man. I like all the mojo going on in there. Did you end of using the tropical fish in the last pic? Could you notice any difference between the fish and a regular film cap?
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

Hey jimmy
The fish cap is what I have in there now.  I don't know if it's just my head playing tricks on me but it seems to sound pretty good.  It's a 10n though and I think the sweep may have been better with 15n.  I like the way it looks so I might grab a 15n fish cap off ebay for a couple of bucks.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

JakeFuzz

Yes! I love it! You have some serious mojo in there, Wima'a and Mallory's you even have a Sprague atom in there! Glad it sounds good. Is that one of those blacktop pots? I may pick one of those up in the future. I tested a ton of values for the feedback cap (I have it on a rotary pot now) but I find the most balanced, wah-like sound from 15-22n, 10n sounds good too but it doesn't have enough low end for me.

Haberdasher

Paul, the pot is an ICAR I bought used on ebay for $10.  I don't know anything else about it.  It was in decent shape and it's not scratchy so it was a good buy.  The taper definitely seems perfect for wah, so I recommend it.

That 10n fish cap sounds really good but it's a bit on the trebly side.  I used the word sweep earlier, but it's really more of a treble/bass thing.  I think I'm definitely getting a couple of 15n fish caps on ebay.  If anybody wants one let me know and I might buy some extra.

cheers

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

gtr2

Sweet build.

I've gotta get me a weener.

A weener wah of course.  Get your mind out of the gutter  ;D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Excellent build man. Glad to hear you are diggin the tone.

I hate to say it but I'm gonna have to grab hold of a weener  ;D

bigmufffuzzwizz

I love it! Really wanna build one and hear it already!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

lol.  Had to button my lip bfore I said somethin real silly.
Nice on Hab ;)