Main Menu

IC Insertion

Started by alanp, May 23, 2012, 12:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pvt. Parts

I just beat the crap out of it till it fits, but with care   :-*
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt

jubal81

I'm a big believer in the IC straightener now. Love mine. It's cheap and makes like sooooo much easier.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

Quote from: irmcdermott on May 23, 2012, 12:54:17 PM
Here's a cheap one from Jameco if you actually wanted to buy a tool.

IC Straightener

Ian

I had no idea they made a tool for that. I just place one side in the socket and then use a retractable blade to push the remainder pins until they fall into place.

jimilee

I combine answers 1 and 2,not on purpose,just kind of winds up that way. ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fendman

Going back a few years, when I got these ic's. The packaging was great all you had to do was place it over the socket and push from the top...job done.

My it was good in those days ;D

aballen

This is the way to do it.

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 24, 2012, 05:20:03 AM
I hold the chip on its side so one set of legs is flat on a table top. I then carefully press down until the legs are more at a right angle to the chip body. I then flip it over and do the same to the other side. This works especially well for the 14 and 16 pin chips.

gingataff

When I'm not doing this...

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 24, 2012, 05:20:03 AM
I hold the chip on its side so one set of legs is flat on a table top. I then carefully press down until the legs are more at a right angle to the chip body. I then flip it over and do the same to the other side. This works especially well for the 14 and 16 pin chips.

I do this...

Quote from: DutchMF on May 23, 2012, 01:27:36 PM
I usually put in one row a very small bit so that the IC is at an angle, then push all the pins of the other side at the same time with my tweezers until they pop in. Then push down the entire IC

Paul

but with my fingernails/tips...probably not 'best practice'  ;D

Thomas_H

Quote from: fendman on April 01, 2013, 09:08:41 AM
Going back a few years, when I got these ic's. The packaging was great all you had to do was place it over the socket and push from the top...job done.

My it was good in those days ;D

A few month ago I received a set of ICs from the supplier in these plastic covers and I thought: What a waste of space and so "ungreen". Now I know at least what it is supposed to do.

As I come from the digital side and started repairing Commodore 64 a few decades ago :-) I usually bend them in the socket. So you just put one side of pins  against the small socket wall and start applying pressure with your thumb from the other side until the pins have given just so much way that you can easily press it into the socket on both sides. Sometimes this requires to be done from both sides first depending on how sturdy this thing is. It requires some training though.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

rullywowr

I am a big fan of the tabletop method as well.  I can't see needing a tool to do this when it takes literally 5 seconds on any flat surface.  And I have never had a problem with the Tayda "cheap-o" DIP sockets for 8, 10, 16, 20, 28 pins for any pedal/MCU projects.  In a way I prefer them over the "SIP" style round sockets.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on September 25, 2013, 09:02:02 AM
I am a big fan of the tabletop method as well.  I can't see needing a tool to do this when it takes literally 5 seconds on any flat surface.  And I have never had a problem with the Tayda "cheap-o" DIP sockets for 8, 10, 16, 20, 28 pins for any pedal/MCU projects.  In a way I prefer them over the "SIP" style round sockets.

I like those cheap Tayda sockets too. Really easy to insert an IC into them and I've never had any problems with them either.

RobA

I use the cheap sockets if there is a reasonable likelihood that I'll remove the IC after it's in. If I plan on it being mostly permanent, I prefer the machined type. Also, I think the cheap sockets work better for anything that isn't plated holes.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

kgull

Bit of an older thread but I just finished up a pedal and thought I'd share my method.

Here's the IC before and after straighting:

I use a cheap pair of calipers to straighten the legs. They let me put even pressure on all the legs at once and I've yet to completely bork an IC as I do from time to time with the tabletop method.

Just pop the IC between the jaws and squeeze til the legs stay at ~0.3" on their own.

Slides right in no problem!

CodeMonk

I got one of these:
On the right side obviously.
It was only about $5 I think.
If you hurry, you might still be able to get one.

Amazon has a selection:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=IC+insertion+tool

Off topic, but on the left is a cap tester I built from a kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Jyetech-Capacitance-Meter-DIY-KIT/dp/B00C5TRI3Q
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

GrindCustoms

Quote from: CodeMonk on April 04, 2015, 03:37:18 AM
I got one of these:
On the right side obviously.
It was only about $5 I think.
If you hurry, you might still be able to get one.

Amazon has a selection:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=IC+insertion+tool

Off topic, but on the left is a cap tester I built from a kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Jyetech-Capacitance-Meter-DIY-KIT/dp/B00C5TRI3Q

Does the IC solder pump works well?

I also have built one of those capacitance meter a while ago, works quite well, much usefull with tropical caps...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

rullywowr

This is an old thread but I have gotten an IC leg straightener and love it.  Use it all the time. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!