News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

IC Insertion

Started by alanp, May 23, 2012, 12:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Quote from: rullywowr on April 04, 2015, 06:25:44 AM
This is an old thread but I have gotten an IC leg straightener and love it.  Use it all the time. 

Where did you grabbed that Ben?

I usually just insert the ICs with an angle in the sockets, when i use a socket that is, but the same thing have to be done when mounting to the pcb directly anyway...

That one seems to work well, you insert the IC in it and then press on both side?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

davent

Rej I searched quite some time ago for those, Futurelec i believe had them, wasn't going order there and then maybe Jameco, i may be wrong, but their shipping was stupid expensive to Canada so still looking.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

bcalla

I got mine at Jameco.  Part #99363

rullywowr

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 04, 2015, 06:35:43 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on April 04, 2015, 06:25:44 AM
This is an old thread but I have gotten an IC leg straightener and love it.  Use it all the time. 

Where did you grabbed that Ben?

I usually just insert the ICs with an angle in the sockets, when i use a socket that is, but the same thing have to be done when mounting to the pcb directly anyway...

That one seems to work well, you insert the IC in it and then press on both side?

I got it off eBay I believe.  Thought it wasn't useful till I had to program about 500 ATtiny85.  Made me a believer :).  You can chuck about 5 or 6 (8pin dips) at a time in there and squeeze.  I keep it in easy reach on my bench.  Well worth it.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

CodeMonk

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 04, 2015, 06:01:33 AM
Quote from: CodeMonk on April 04, 2015, 03:37:18 AM
I got one of these:
On the right side obviously.
It was only about $5 I think.
If you hurry, you might still be able to get one.

Amazon has a selection:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=IC+insertion+tool

Off topic, but on the left is a cap tester I built from a kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Jyetech-Capacitance-Meter-DIY-KIT/dp/B00C5TRI3Q

Does the IC solder pump works well?

I also have built one of those capacitance meter a while ago, works quite well, much usefull with tropical caps...
Do you mean this thing? :

Yeah, that works quite well.
Word of caution though...
Leave it unplugged.
When you need to use it...
Plug it in.
Let it heat up.
Use it,
Unplug it.
If you leave it plugged in for hours at a time, the tip deteriorates rather quickly.
Not a bad tool for only about $10.
IMO, works much better than those plunger types.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic, but here is my DIY enclosure for the cap tester.
Just applied some heat with a heat gun to a piece of lexan (Plexiglass sucks). Kinda overdid it a bit with the heat gun though.
I also really need to get around to raising that socket up a little higher.

I made the enclosure large enough so that I can fit a 9 volt battery underneath it too.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

jimilee

Quote from: CodeMonk on April 05, 2015, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 04, 2015, 06:01:33 AM
Quote from: CodeMonk on April 04, 2015, 03:37:18 AM
I got one of these:
On the right side obviously.
It was only about $5 I think.
If you hurry, you might still be able to get one.

Amazon has a selection:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=IC+insertion+tool

Off topic, but on the left is a cap tester I built from a kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Jyetech-Capacitance-Meter-DIY-KIT/dp/B00C5TRI3Q

Does the IC solder pump works well?

I also have built one of those capacitance meter a while ago, works quite well, much usefull with tropical caps...
Do you mean this thing? :

Yeah, that works quite well.
Word of caution though...
Leave it unplugged.
When you need to use it...
Plug it in.
Let it heat up.
Use it,
Unplug it.
If you leave it plugged in for hours at a time, the tip deteriorates rather quickly.
Not a bad tool for only about $10.
IMO, works much better than those plunger types.
I bought several tips from RadioShack locally before they died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

CodeMonk

Last I checked (Tuesday), we still had one Radioshack store open.
I gotta go into town on Friday.
I guess I should check, if they are still there, for some extra tips for that then.

Edit:
Love your sig :)
Layout design is probably my favorite part of pedal building.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

jimilee

Quote from: CodeMonk on April 05, 2015, 04:08:38 PM
Last I checked (Tuesday), we still had one Radioshack store open.
I gotta go into town on Friday.
I guess I should check, if they are still there, for some extra tips for that then.

Edit:
Love your sig :)
Layout design is probably my favorite part of pedal building.
Mine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pryonisys

I know this thread is super old, but I'm a newb and didn't want to start a thread for something if another thread was even close.
I feel kind of stupid for even asking this, but do you need the IC socket or is it possible to just solder the IC chip right on the board.  I only ask because I forgot to order the sockets from Tayda with my last order.  I'm going to make more orders, but at this point it just means I have to wait to finish the pedals that I'm hoping to do.
Thanks, and please forgive my newbness.

Jebus

Quote from: pryonisys on April 05, 2016, 05:30:30 AM
I know this thread is super old, but I'm a newb and didn't want to start a thread for something if another thread was even close.
I feel kind of stupid for even asking this, but do you need the IC socket or is it possible to just solder the IC chip right on the board.

You don't need the socket. :) Of course debugging and such is easier if you can remove the IC without soldering, but its not necessary.

pryonisys

Quote from: Jebus on April 05, 2016, 05:44:16 AM
Quote from: pryonisys on April 05, 2016, 05:30:30 AM
I feel kind of stupid for even asking this, but do you need the IC socket or is it possible to just solder the IC chip right on the board.

You don't need the socket. :) Of course debugging and such is easier if you can remove the IC without soldering, but its not necessary.

Thank you very much!  I may just order some sockets to be on the safe side because I don't want a mess when it comes to debugging in the future.  I appreciate the speedy response.

TNblueshawk

My 2pf's is that I would not solder the IC in there without the socket. No matter how small the chance, if that IC is bad you will regret it beyond belief.
John

galaxiex

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 05, 2016, 01:21:07 PM
My 2pf's is that I would not solder the IC in there without the socket. No matter how small the chance, if that IC is bad you will regret it beyond belief.

This ^^^

Un- soldering an IC is NO fun,
unless you don't care about the IC and clip all the legs off,
and then un-solder each tiny piece of leg left in the hole.

Still not much fun.
Sooooo much easier to use a socket.  8)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

pryonisys

Quote from: galaxiex on April 05, 2016, 01:50:46 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 05, 2016, 01:21:07 PM

This ^^^

Un- soldering an IC is NO fun,
unless you don't care about the IC and clip all the legs off,
and then un-solder each tiny piece of leg left in the hole.

Still not much fun.
Sooooo much easier to use a socket.  8)

Got it.  Sockets aren't expensive and if it will save a headache in the future it's probably a good move.  Thanks for the advice.

fueltank

One more thought on an old thread. I sit one side in and use a credit card to push the opposite side legs in, all at the same time, and then push down to insert them.