News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dead Cry Baby

Started by CapnCrunch, October 10, 2010, 08:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnCrunch

I have never been happy with my Dunlop wah, so I can't say that I'm really upset.  I rarely play it, but every now and then I get the itch.  It worked the last time I plugged into it, and nothing has been done to it in the interim.  It just decided it was done I guess.

It passes signal when not engaged, but no signal when engaged.  I just checked continuity quickly yesterday, and it seems to have continuity where I would expect it (no obvious breaks in circuit path at first blush).

So the question is, should I try to fix a wah I've never really cared for, or use the parts to build up a custom wah?  Next question.  If I wanted to build my own, does anyone have any suggestions or links to boards or layouts?  I was thinking i'd like to do a Perf board version with clips or turrets.

jkokura

I recommend that you build a custom wah for yourself. I would also like to recommend GGG's Moddable Wah. It's neat because you can go simple or you can go complex.

If not that, I recommend getting a used Vox V847 and then modding it. I like it better.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CapnCrunch

Jacob,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.  Have you built the GGG wah?

I'd like to have the vox wah but I need to do something with the wah I have, because money is really tight right now.  Anything would be an improvement over what this wah was before it died..........

eniacmike

If you can try to fix your wah that would be the cheapest way to go. I modded my dunlop wah and it sounds alot better now. I just did all the mods on http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm except I left the buffer in. I did do a fasel upgrade but I think the few simpler mods are really easy and improve the sound alot. The fasel upgrade does help a little but it isn't that big of a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn-A0Wp1uY
I did a comparison video of my modded crybaby to a stock crybaby.

I am constantly on the prowl on craigslist for broken wahs so I can either mod or build them. The empty shells are about $45 over at small bear and they don't include the pot! I am hoping to build a wah either use ggg's or tonepads or I know madbean is working on a wah board (weener wah).

I am thinking about doing a heavy mod to the stock one I have and put everything on external pots on the side. top freqency, q, volume boost.

I was really scared to drill the enclosure for the led because I had bad experiences with sheet metal but the cast metal they use for the dunlop wahs is ridiculously cheap. I put my drill bit in place to get ready to drill and it pushed straight through the case without the drill even being turned on! I am amazed those pedals don't just crush beneath the weight of players.

CapnCrunch

Quote from: eniacmike on October 10, 2010, 12:19:15 PM
If you can try to fix your wah that would be the cheapest way to go. I modded my dunlop wah and it sounds alot better now. I just did all the mods on http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm except I left the buffer in. I did do a fasel upgrade but I think the few simpler mods are really easy and improve the sound alot. The fasel upgrade does help a little but it isn't that big of a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn-A0Wp1uY
I did a comparison video of my modded crybaby to a stock crybaby.

I am constantly on the prowl on craigslist for broken wahs so I can either mod or build them. The empty shells are about $45 over at small bear and they don't include the pot! I am hoping to build a wah either use ggg's or tonepads or I know madbean is working on a wah board (weener wah).

I am thinking about doing a heavy mod to the stock one I have and put everything on external pots on the side. top freqency, q, volume boost.

I was really scared to drill the enclosure for the led because I had bad experiences with sheet metal but the cast metal they use for the dunlop wahs is ridiculously cheap. I put my drill bit in place to get ready to drill and it pushed straight through the case without the drill even being turned on! I am amazed those pedals don't just crush beneath the weight of players.

Thanks for the link.  That is like "making your crappy wah useable for dummies".  Which is exactly what I need.  Thank You!  I'm going to play with the existing PCB and see what happens.  I still may completely re-build it later, but based on your video, I may not........