News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Box Film Caps- mammoth vs tayda

Started by claytushaywood, May 27, 2012, 04:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2012, 10:00:09 PM
The problem with Mouser is that it is go industrial scale or go home. The flat rate for shipping is $39 -- but if you spend more than $200, it's free. Ouch.

Tayda's shipping is a lot friendlier if you only want half a dozen of each value, but aren't going to buy enough to get a price break anywhere. Plus I love their easy-order pages for their CF and MF resistors.

Shipping from Mouser usually costs me about $9-10.

I am not badmouthing Tayda.  I've bought some things from there.  Some of it was good quality, some decent, some was a bit on the lower quality side.  It's a great place to buy things like LEDs, which are absurdly cheap and work just fine.

The only thing I won't buy from there are electrolytic caps.  For those, I stick to the name brand caps from Mouser.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

I order all my mil-spec stuff and various IC from Mouser, i'm in Canada.

I got many orders from them to date going from 40$ to 150$, always costed me 13$ in shipping with an average lead time of 6-10 days, wich is really good compared to other supplier that i deal with in the US.

I totally agree with CJ for what he says about Tayda, it's really a great place for the general hobbyist....pretty hard to beat.

I do build in really large quantity, 3 to 6 and more sometime...pedal per week and i source alot of stuff from there ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

claytushaywood

okay, yeh i've heard all the cap stories before.  I've gotten panasonics off ebay with good results.  i'd like to like to use mouser... but that site just pisses me off.  and there's always at least a dozen parts that are outrageously priced in an order.

so has anyone ordered caps from mammoth adn found them to be huge?  and have the worse tolerance rating and 63v?

or how about this question... are tayda's caps larger than usual... like the .22uf and up you have to jimmy into the board to look right?  i have these big ass box caps that look like any other grey box caps, but have a worse tolerance rating a lower voltage rating and again they are HUGE!  i'm pretty sure these are mammoth's caps... which is funny how much more expensive they are considering the facts.  they're at least 2mm bigger in each direction than the 100v ones.

anyways, just trying to make sure i'm not gonna be ordering huge outrageous caps from tayda.

does anyone feel there's an advantage to the more expensive wima caps over other box film caps?  I mean in terms of sound... i've never done a side by side, and they've all sounded good and have been low noise.  i would love to have  ahuge stock of those tiny red wima box caps- those look rad on boards and seem to be extraordinarily small.  Some of these larger box caps have really been a pain in the ass to box in the thinner 1590b and 1590bb.  i do like the panasonic 1uf metal films much more than the box films that i've received in the past.

Bret608

I ordered a box cap from Mammoth when I forgot to include a particular value in a Mouser order, and it was the exact same size as the Kemets I got from Mouser. Can't remember if the voltage rating or tolerance differed much, but I know it wasn't enough to raise my eyebrows. It worked out fine on the Pork Barrel, which is a pretty tight board.

I agree with Culturejam on ordering caps from Mouser--with the correct lead spacing and voltage plugged in, it's not too hard to get the right thing. Even without enough for a price break (I was only ordering enough for three builds), some of the Kemet box caps came in at $.09 each.

claytushaywood

Quote from: Bret608 on May 29, 2012, 11:57:58 AM
I ordered a box cap from Mammoth when I forgot to include a particular value in a Mouser order, and it was the exact same size as the Kemets I got from Mouser. Can't remember if the voltage rating or tolerance differed much, but I know it wasn't enough to raise my eyebrows. It worked out fine on the Pork Barrel, which is a pretty tight board.

I agree with Culturejam on ordering caps from Mouser--with the correct lead spacing and voltage plugged in, it's not too hard to get the right thing. Even without enough for a price break (I was only ordering enough for three builds), some of the Kemet box caps came in at $.09 each.

well.. i've finally just figured this out myself.  mammoth's caps were the larger, lower voltage 63v, worse tolerance capacitors 10% (and more expensive).  the ones from tayda were indeed the smaller, 5%, 100v caps.  Yay Tayda!

blakemoth

Just letting you all know, we dropped our polyfilm caps (both the ECQ style and Box style) by 30% today. I ran across this thread and was able to make some negotiations with our supplier and purchasing manager. We'll be adding larger quantities at a time in order to justify this price drop.

Hope this helps. And in the future, please make sure to contact me on any pricing or selection inquiries, in addition to working it out together on this forum. I might not be able to please everyone's requests, but in some scenarios it can make a huge difference. My contact email is sales@mammothelectronics.com

Thanks!

Links to the updated pricing :
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Panasonic-ECQ-V1H-Capacitors-p/300-ecq-v1h.htm
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Vikiin-Polyester-Film-Box-Capacitors-p/300b-mmk5.htm

r4ndy

Doh, just ordered some from Mammoth earlier this week. Props for dropping the prices and letting us know.