News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering Iron Recommendations

Started by whitebread47, May 30, 2012, 02:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitebread47

Some of you may recall my "soldering iron woes" thread from a couple of weeks ago.  Last time, my iron quit working after being accidentally left on for about 6 hours.  No biggie, I replaced it the next day with (unfortunately) the same one.  However, my recent one has quit working all of the sudden.  It worked last night, I tinned it and unplugged it as usual.  Went to fire it up today and...nothing.  :-\

Up to this point, I'd been going the quick and easy route by purchasing Weller 40 watt irons from Home Depot.  It appears that these just don't last very long.  I also think I may need more like a 25-30 watt iron or one with variable temp.

So my question is this:  What is a good, reliable iron?  I've heard good things about Hakko, while I initially thought Weller was a proper product.  I don't have a whole lot of budget for one, so I'm seeking the best value while maintaining quality.  Under $100 is ideal, closer to 50 or 60 to be honest.

Though I've had some shoddy tools from there, I have a local Harbor Freight and recall their prices being pretty low.  Can anyone verify that they have decent irons, or maybe someone can testify to their iron they got from there and provide a model #?

Many thanks in advance.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

irmcdermott

I have this Xytronic 379 station and absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, but they say that this is the upgrade from it. While I can't speak to it, if it's anything like my 379 it'll be worth it. $55 is within your $50-$60 range. Worth maybe doing some research and reading reviews, or maybe try and find a 379 somewhere.

Ian

Haberdasher

Haha, that is the exact station I have too, Ian.

I'd probably get the hakko 936, You can nab one at fry's as well as replacement tips and accessories which is very convenient.  I love my xytronic station, but if i have to order a new tip I must mail order from jameco, which is not convenient.

http://www.frys.com/product/454489?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I haven't heard anything about the HF stations but they might be ok if you are in a hurry and there's no frys where you live.

btw, I keep my station on a nice power strip with a fan and a lamp that both come on when I flip the power-on switch.  So when I see the light and hear the noise of the fan, that is a reminder my iron is on.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

whitebread47

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I just realized that I have an Amazon gift card, so I may try to find a comparable product on there.  Either way, I'll be reading some reviews before pulling the trigger on anything.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

culturejam

Another happy 379 user here.

I recently picked up a Hakko FX-888. It's totally tits. The 379 is now the backup iron.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Vallhagen

FWIW, my soldering station is a Weller from mid-90s, works like a charm and feels very stable and "pro".

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

nzCdog

I have a Hakko 936... its nice to use

alanp

I use a cheapie Dick Smith 40W soldering iron, it's lasted through two amps and seven or eight pedals and counting. Only thing I've had to do is sand the tip now and again. I also have a Dick Smith 25W iron as well, it's a bit gutless compared to the 40W though, so it never gets used.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

It looks like the hakko 936 is being phased out.  fwiw there is a chinese knockoff called aoyue 936 that has good reviews on amazon.  It looks like that brand is also sold at frys and sears.  I have no experience with that unit but it looks decent for the $.  I would research it some before buying, of course.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

gtr2

Hope the parts will still be available for the 936  :(
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

I bet the parts will be around for a long time.  my xytronic 379 is out of production for a couple of years now but it uses the same tips as some of their other irons.  My guess is you'll find a similar situation in the hakko line.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

yanko_mr

So what did you get now?, I am looking for an Iron and not sure what's good,