News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Metal On Metal (Chunk Chunk w/ 2n5457s)

Started by mgwhit, May 31, 2012, 08:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

Here's another one I finished last fall.  I was originally going to go with the waterslide on the left, but after watching a certain documentary a friend talked me into going with the one on the right.

Here's the enclosure after a bake in the oven.  I had heard that clear coat didn't work well on bare aluminum (maybe because there's no primer), but I've never had any problems with this one and I think it looks great.  I used a flat clear instead of a gloss, and you can barely even tell it's been finished.  (I used a gloss clear on another bare enclosure and did not like the way it looked.)

Even with all those knobs and wires, getting this in a 1590BB was a snap with room to spare.  I like it when I can mount the jacks on the top to save horizontal space on my board.  I built this Chunk Chunk board to guitarpcb.com "Boogey 57" specs with 2n5457 JFETs primarily because I hated the fizzy sound of most of the YouTube videos with J201s.  Despite the name I was really looking for a more alt-rock/pop-punk high gain than a metal tone, and with the right guitar and amp I can dial that in with this.

Through my tele and 5F2A Princeton it sounds kinda ridiculous.

Here's the finished product.  When I decided to build this one, I kinda thought it was going to be a goof, but my bandmates like this best of all the pedals I've done (okay, along with the Fat Pants, which is currently on one of their boards).  I should probably replace the nylon 3PDT washer with a metal one so that it lives up to its name.

DutchMF

Makes my ChunkChunk cry and hide in a corner (see my most recent thread), now where have I heard this before.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

Nice... don't know what doco you mean, is it supposed to be a Kraftwerk reference? _Trans Europe Express_ had a track "Metal On Metal".
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Vallhagen

Quote from: alanp on May 31, 2012, 10:05:51 AM
Nice... don't know what doco you mean, is it supposed to be a Kraftwerk reference? _Trans Europe Express_ had a track "Metal On Metal".

My guess is "Anvil - the story of Anvil". Maybe the best rockumentary. Ever:) ...

And on topic; nice build. Cool metallion look.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

mgwhit

Quote from: Vallhagen on May 31, 2012, 12:51:55 PMMy guess is "Anvil - the story of Anvil". Maybe the best rockumentary. Ever:) ...

Bingo!  And thank you.

Alanp, I need to check out the Kraftwerk tune -- although I have a strange feeling I'll never use this pedal to play it.  I saw them about eight years ago and they were oddly fantastic.

mgwhit

Here's a pic that looks much more menacing that the previous, wussy shot on the floral bedspread.

Definitely still needs a metal washer, though.