News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bob Taylor on the future of ebony wood

Started by alanp, June 03, 2012, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Saw this linked on another forum I follow. Quite thought provoking. I think it would be cool to have a Les Paul with a streaky ebony fretboard.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

redbean

es là-bas!!

jaidee

Great link - can't argue with the man, streaky ebony it is then!

jkokura

Great job. I'm proud of Bob for the stand he's taking. I'll
Have to revisit my thoughts on Taylor guitars.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

raulduke

Good call I say by Mr Taylor.

I think the streaky type looks rather fetching anyway!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: raulduke on June 03, 2012, 04:49:50 PM
Good call I say by Mr Taylor.

I think the streaky type looks rather fetching anyway!

True that, I built a guitar many years ago and found a totally vanilla streaked piece of ebony that someone threw in the trash at my local hardwood dealer. I made the headstock out of it and it is one of the best looking pieces of wood I have ever seen.

jimijam

streaked ebony?!?! f#%k that! I'm killing myself!!! just kidding.. god bless Bob Taylor
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

slimtriggers

When I built my Warmoth I actually chose the Macassar ebony because I thought the streaks looked so cool and unique.   8)

crashguitar

Interesting video. It is cool to see someone be in that position have the conviction to make that decision.

As I recall, Taylor also made some acoustic guitars from shipping pallets to prove it is more about the builder than fancy wood. I can't seem to find the primary source for this, but if you google it, there are pictures out there of the pallet guitar.

alanp

For this years TDPRI build challenge, Kwerk (of NZ) built a telecaster body from building pallets. He won first place.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jolly1423

My breedlove has a streaky ebony fretboard. I got it before I saw this and I still loved it. Makes it unique, no other board is streaked the same. There are a ton of plain black ones out there  ;)

Comfort Player

Well done Bob.  However, just an FYI Larrivee has been using streaked ( or natural ) ebony for years.  I have and do own both.  Looks good to me either way
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

Mousstache_Bash

Quote from: alanp on June 05, 2012, 02:48:15 AM
For this years TDPRI build challenge, Kwerk (of NZ) built a telecaster body from building pallets. He won first place.

That sounds awesome.  I'd love to buy a guitar like that.

Mike @ Rawkworks

"I said we can."

Thats what I'm talkin about!
Mike
mike@rawkworks.com