News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fomorii delay (Effdub's Neptune / non-Madbean)

Started by midwayfair, June 04, 2012, 08:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

The Fomorii were the seagods of Irish mythology (though I learned today that technically this is based on debatable etymology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomorii). They were described as "violent and misshapen" - - I can think of no better descriptor of what the warp button does on this design. Kudos to Effdub for really thinking outside the box on the original mod.

The paint job took a very long time and was still partially wet when I took the photos, but I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted to evoke a roiling sea, sea weed, and fish without painting anything in particular. The knob labels contain misshapen Irish script letters (t, m, r, and d clockwise from the top left) -- but in a nod to the original name of the circuit, I've also hidden Greek letters underneath (we should all recognize a mu, right?).

I did make a few minor adjustments to the values for my preferences. I used a .027uF cap to brighten the repeats, a 2.7K and 50K time knob to make some slapback settings possible, and I tried to clamp the oscillation on the feedback knob, but it didn't work properly. (I put back to back 1N914s on lug 3.) It distorts a little more heavily at high feedback settings, which is cool, but the volume still gets out of control.

whitebread47

Nice build, that paint job definitely looks very 'swimmy'!  I enjoyed the fact that you used the Femorii theme based on the warp switch. 

Have you played this with any slapback settings yet?  I'm building one now, and if I could get both slapback AND warp ability that would tickle my fancy.  I'll be going with a 1590BB myself, not only for obvious "noob needs room" reasons, but I want it to look like there's a huge operation going on in there, haha.  ;D
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

midwayfair

Quote from: whitebread47 on June 04, 2012, 09:00:25 PMHave you played this with any slapback settings yet?  I'm building one now, and if I could get both slapback AND warp ability that would tickle my fancy.

The slapback settings are fine for faking it, but there are certainly other delays (and chips ...) that will do it better. I definitely had to brighten the repeats to get the perceived volume of the repeats up high enough for that. I wouldn't put it on my board as my only delay if I was 90% slapback, you know? It's nice to have some options.

You'd have to be really quick on the switch to actually modulate your slapbacks, though. :)

whitebread47

Thanks, I see what you're saying.  I didn't mean simultaneously, just in the same unit.  Oh well, this only means that I have justification enough to build even more pedals.  :D
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

TNblueshawk

John