News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there an auto wah that just sweeps in a fixed cycle?

Started by midwayfair, May 30, 2012, 11:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I mean like a tremolo that does a filter sweep instead of volume modulation? I'm not exactly sure what the effect would be called, since most projects called "auto wahs" are actually envelope filters.

JakeFuzz

The only one I know of is the Worm by EHX. You could get similar sounds out of the seek wah but that has defined filter steps. It would be pretty easy to hook up a simple LFO to a wah circuit. I've always wanted to but I don't know if it would be very useful.

LaceSensor

go to diysb and search for lightwah. This has a switch for LFO wah mode, or LDR (light/dark) actuation of the wah. The cycled wah sounds pretty nice. I made one.

Guybrush

How easy is the Lightwah to build LaceSensor?  I've been mulling over giving it a go for a while but the threas on diysb is so big an unruly I kind of get lost reading it.

midwayfair

Quote from: Guybrush on June 01, 2012, 03:23:02 AM
How easy is the Lightwah to build LaceSensor?  I've been mulling over giving it a go for a while but the threas on diysb is so big an unruly I kind of get lost reading it.

Aron has a perf layout - it looks fairly easy.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=45818

Lacsesensor, thanks for letting me know about this.

culturejam

I worked by B. Tremblay from RunoffGroove on a project we called the Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah). It's an inductor-based wah circuit with an LFO.

It ended up sounding pretty cool, even though neither of us ended up doing anything with it. And I really need to update the PCB layout.  :-\

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LaceSensor

Easy. There is pcb layout for it. It worked first time for me.

jimijam

the tc electronic g=system has a wah effect like that. you could set how fast and deep the oscillator acts. it was actually really great sounding for soloing. I could see usisng it live quite a bit.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

midwayfair

Quote from: LaceSensor on June 03, 2012, 08:04:27 PM

Easy. There is pcb layout for it. It worked first time for me.

Someone made a Perfboard layout, too. I'm probably going to reverse the manual mode and build it on perf.

Culturejam: Thanks -- I'd offer to help update the schematic, but I've never worked with inductors, so it would be hard for me to even breadboard it.

atreidesheir

Quote from: culturejam on June 03, 2012, 07:36:56 PM
I worked by B. Tremblay from RunoffGroove on a project we called the Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah). It's an inductor-based wah circuit with an LFO.

It ended up sounding pretty cool, even though neither of us ended up doing anything with it. And I really need to update the PCB layout.  :-\

CJ, could you explain switches1  and 2.  I am very interested, but is it like the phozer or more of a wah?
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

culturejam

The switch is, I think, not completely drawn out right. What it is supposed to do is switch between the LFO and a standard wah pot. That makes the PCB useful in a wah shell as both a pseudo-phaser and a traditional wah.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects