News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cheap Vactrol source!

Started by midwayfair, June 04, 2012, 03:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Thought some people might like to see this ....
http://www.apexjr.com/new.htm

$2 each for VTL5C1s!

JakeFuzz

That place is right down the freeway from me! I've always wanted to go there, now I have a good reason. Thanks for the link!

irmcdermott

AHHH! I just placed on order on Fridays for a bunch of those!

midwayfair

Ian: I'd grab some despite your recent order if you have the cash. He said he has about 500 of them on hand. That's a lot, but if word spreads and everyone starts getting 10 of them ...

night-B

If someone is up to ordering some, as there are 15$ fees for intl orders, I'd be really happy to order some with you and add shipping to France and some extra bucks and I'll send you an little surprise at your address  ;)
Pm me if it sounds cool to you.

Thanks!

midwayfair

Hey, I just wanted to add something to this that I just thought of, because I'm sure it's relevant to some peoples' build plans:

This Vactrol is most likely not appropriate for optical tremolo purposes. It has a long light memory. Maybe there's something cool out there I'm unaware of.

It does, however, have an extremely high dark resistance, which makes it fun for optical comps.

Ang3lus

not really useful for optical comps, i've tried it on several builds i did, they all have very very very small range of compression.

the best use for it is switching in amps (soldano, mesa etc)

midwayfair

Quote from: Ang3lus on June 05, 2012, 08:22:24 AM
not really useful for optical comps, i've tried it on several builds i did, they all have very very very small range of compression.

the best use for it is switching in amps (soldano, mesa etc)

Hm, that's a little disappointing. I'll see if anyone over on DIYStompboxes has an idea of what to do with them in a pedal.

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on June 04, 2012, 08:38:52 PM
This Vactrol is most likely not appropriate for optical tremolo purposes. It has a long light memory. Maybe there's something cool out there I'm unaware of.

Isn't it on the BOM for the DoubleFlush? Anyone ever tried one in the DF? I'm building the STM from culturejam at the moment, so I probably don't need another tremolo, but the DF looks like a fun project to try something like a Vactrol (never done that before...)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on June 05, 2012, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on June 04, 2012, 08:38:52 PM

Isn't it on the BOM for the DoubleFlush? Anyone ever tried one in the DF? I'm building the STM from culturejam at the moment, so I probably don't need another tremolo, but the DF looks like a fun project to try something like a Vactrol (never done that before...)

Paul

Derf, you're right ... and I just checked and it's also usable and/or recommended in the Baja Vibrotrem, too.

The LED turns off very slowly on this, I just kind of expected it to greatly limit chop on tremolos.

Well, now I feel a whole lot better.

DutchMF

Well, if I'm interpreting what you just said correctly, then indeed it wouldn't be a really "choppy" tremolo, but more of a "throbbing" kind of thing (awaiting "dirty" response here, so come on!), so you would be right! And making you feel better does wonders for my mood  ;D
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"