News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Backing Tracks & Software & PC's

Started by angrykoko, June 13, 2012, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

So I am a rock god in my mind only and do most of my playing in front of my pc & mirror.

I know there is a site with some free backing tracks but of the couple I've sampled they are ok but like for one of them, I get a bass line and some drums. 

I'd like something better and I'm wondering if there is anything better out there.  Maybe some paid software or site where I can choose to include vocals, guitar 1, guitar 2 tracks etc...  you know so I can complete my Walter Mitty type fantasy life. ;D

Also, do any of you play through a pc?... I've only tried to play through my pc a couple of times (GarageBand on a mac mini) but the latency made me sad, my windows pc was a total latency failure.

Cheers!
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jkokura

I've played through software before. A lot of the Latency came not from the computer but from the hardware for me. I used a crappy Behringer interface the first time, and I could even play. Moving up to Presonus stuff has made the experience almost negligable. Look into a good interface.

As for the other stuff, I can't help you there. I tend to make my own tracks.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

angrykoko

Thanks.

Would you mind being a little more specific, I have never researched or inquired about interfacing with a pc (outside of plugging directly into the mac-mini with the guitar and launching garage band).. and I'm not even sure where to start with my questions. 

I looked at the Presonus site but I'm not sure what I'm looking at (or for)(or what else I might need additionally). 

I would like the ability to record myself eventually... which then leads to more questions about how to create my own backing instrument tracks when all I have is guitar gear...

Or.. maybe someone knows of a link to a good write up about all this that could jump start me so I could formulate narrower questions?

Thanks again.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jkokura

Sure I can try.

Basically, you're going from an analog signal into a digital format, and then the digital format is outputing the signal into an analog format again. This means conversion. Any time you convert, you need a 'computer' to translate. That takes time. Use a cheap converter and it takes more time, but that means that you can spend more money and get better quality.

An interface is the device that we use to convert from analog into digital, and usually back again too. For example, the interface in this instance is the onboard soundcard: Guitar > Onboard Soundcard > software > Soundcard > Headphones/speakers. That's about as cheap as it gets, using the onboard stuff that your computer uses. That's not effecient, and will give you lots of latency because the computer isn't designed for this sort of thing, and it's busy running your operating softward and other things.

If you spend some money on a better 'soundcard' or 'interface' which has a dedicated computer taking care of the conversion, which leaves your actual computer to handle the problem. In this example, we use an external USB based interface: Guitar > Presonus Audiobox 22vsl > USB to computer > Software > back to Interface > Headphones/Monitors. This setup will limit the latency, and you would have a better experience. What's really neat about the Audiobox in particular is that it has a blend knob so you can actually reference your actual signal vs the playback, which almost eliminates the latency entirely.

I only know about this stuff because I jumped in head first years ago with recording myself. I eventually sold almost all of my original gear, and have in the last 6 months worked to acquire almost all new gear being a little bit better informed. I chose to get the Audiobox 44vsl which is a 4 channel unit with 4 mic pres, two of which combo as direct ins for guitar and 2 of which can be line in channels. Because I already have a whack of mics and other outboard gear, including instruments, it made sense to get this version. Now I can record pretty much any instrument I want with the gear I have. However, unless you're going to drop three grand on all the stuff, I highly recommend going with a smaller setup until you really have a feel for what you're doing. Spend 2-3 hundred if you want. Less if you have limits on your budget.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Willybomb

I use http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ for 90% of my backingtrack stuff.  I think a lot of it is taken from Guitar Hero and Rock Band which use the original multitracks in a lot of cases, so they have the original vocals included in those songs as well (check the songs with the "lips" icon next to them).

f you want to pay for a specific mix, http://www.karaoke-version.com/ will let you pick a song and add whatever elements you desire.

slimtriggers

I have one of these:

Pod Studio GX

Zero latency.  About $80 if you look around.  Not really sexy, but a decent interface.  Capable of decent tones if you tweak stuff.  Nowhere near as fun to play through as my tube amp, though.

This looks interesting, too:

Riff Station

angrykoko

Cool thanks everyone.
Thanks a ton for that explanation Jacob. Like your story, I typically just jump in, spend $ and ask questions later when I'm unhappy with my purchase, thought I'd try a different approach this time.

I looked at the Audiobox 22vsl, this part is starting to make sense now, that's the starting point I needed.  I didn't get a chance to look but, off the top of your head will something like Garage Band be able to interface with it?  It seems like this would be a natural extension of buying something like this.   Then some point in the future when I'm ready to be more serious I could look at getting Studio One or something? 

Slimtriggers:  I stumbled on this late last night:  Behringer Ultra G G100.  It looks like it sit's between your amps speaker out and the speaker cab and would somehow link to something like the audio/pc interface (I could be way wrong) .  But your not going to be silent, it doesn't appear to provide a dummy load so you must keep your speaker connected.  At least you could use your amp of choice though.

So possibly a slight tangent: I also stumbled on this guy (Mark Day?) promoting or just demo'ing this thing on youtube:  http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-fx-ii-preamp-fx-processor.php
Not exactly sure what it really is... or does fully... or who it's target market is.... but I sort of wanted to sell a kidney and buy one (that andy guy at pro guitar has the same effect on my wallet).

timbo_93631

Quote from: angrykoko on June 14, 2012, 04:03:25 PM

I looked at the Audiobox 22vsl, this part is starting to make sense now, that's the starting point I needed.  I didn't get a chance to look but, off the top of your head will something like Garage Band be able to interface with it?  It seems like this would be a natural extension of buying something like this.   Then some point in the future when I'm ready to be more serious I could look at getting Studio One or something? 

That is what I am using now, running the new version of Studio One Artist 2.  It makes a HUGE difference. 

Before, with webcam mic:
http://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631/junk-o-wah

Now with 22VSL:
http://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631/phase-45-aquaboy-reverb-5050
http://soundcloud.com/timbo_93631/mkiiifuzz

So-so playing remains the same.

If you are just gonna record by yourself a 22VSL is fine, I had gotten this one for my nephew but he needs a 44VSL to track his drums more faithfully.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

Yeah, I don't know if you noticed, but the 22vsl and any other Presonus interface comes with the Studio One software. Think about it - for $190 bucks you're getting super awesome software, and a super interface that will do all you want and more.

There are other alternatives though. Do some shopping and see what other products might work as well.

Yes, the Audiobox will work with garageband.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Willybomb

QuoteSlimtriggers:  I stumbled on this late last night:  Behringer Ultra G G100

It's just a DI.  The manual for it is here;  http://www.behringer.com/assets/GI100_P0137_M_EN.pdf

It's a pretty good unit all told.  I've used mine for years.

angrykoko

I know this is a pretty old topic but just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation.

I finally ended up with the Presonus Audiobox 22vsl.

I tried the Audiobox 22 USB first but it kept producing this insane double reverb type sound from the phones jack.  took it back and tried the vsl and wow, really nice.

Now I just need to find some time to learn Studio One and recording terms in general (I think not knowing what the words mean is my biggest hurdle).

Cheers!

Koko

thekyle55

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

That thread will help you more with recording than a thousand books or a million websites.  yep has an amazing ability to take complex ideas and explain them in a way that makes sense to everyone, newbie or seasoned pro.

And Reaper is a great DAW.

night-B

I have purchased a Roland Quad Capture for 200$ and this is an outstanding AD capture box. There's a switch specific for high impedance inputs (like guitars), an auto sense that adjusts automatically the input level without turning a knob, high quality drivers with very low latency (I'm at 10ms actually), midi in/out, XLR, phantom power etc... I highly recommend it  ;)

angrykoko

Awesome!  Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a read asap.