News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny/ Big muff Noise

Started by SGJarrod, October 13, 2010, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

I'm going to go back in & try the bc549s again when I get time.  They sounded good, but IIRC it seemed like I wasn't getting the singing lead notes and the "big wall of fuzz" like with the 2n5089s.  Just depends what you're looking for I guess.

The higher gain 549Cs are probably worth looking into as well.  Thanks for your input.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

CRBMoA

I read a lengthy dissertation on the Muff circuits that was posted at BYOC a few years ago, prior to the 'legendary' crash, so I don't have a good link. I can probably scan my hard copy if you are interested, and I'll send you the PDF on request.

In any case, the author stated the mega gain trannies would have a nominal effect, the idea being something like, if a HFE of 350 clips going into the next stage, then all HFEs above 350 will have no additional effect, because 350 would be the limit. 'Bean can probably state it more clearly, but please try the BC549C's and report what you find.

For the record, I like 5089s, but I prefer BC549s.

cb

Haberdasher

Yeah CRBMoA, I would definitely read that if you find the time to scan it. 

Back when I was building my grunt, I roughly measured the hfe's of different some different transistors in my dmm.  Here are those recorded results if anyone is interested-

bc549bs were about 300 on average
2n5088s were about 415 avg
2n5089s were about 730 avg

I couldn't tell any difference between the 5088 and 5089s, but both of those seemed to have noticeably higher gain & output than the bc549s.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

SGJarrod

If someone tries the 549c's please let us know the results....

I was able to tell a difference in gain between the 5088's and 5089's.....not alot of diff, main diff was the thickness and punch of the sound....... and the 549's seem to have plenty of gain and punch in my build... It is every bit as gainy as the 5088's in a creamy dreamer I just built for my cousin.... and I doubt jumping the emitter resistors on the Q2 and Q3 compaired to the 100R resistors is that huge of a difference....

I tried all the above mentioned in the mayo so I can see there being a certain gain cap that does not really help to go over....

If you find that article I would be interested as well  ;D