News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping diode stock -- what else should I add to my stock?

Started by midwayfair, June 19, 2012, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Pondering the kind of stuff I should keep on hand for breadboarding. Does anyone have anything not on this list that I should track down? Not necessarily what you use on a regular basis, but just things that you think are cool and might sound different.

I have the following:

Germanium
Smallbear generic 1n34a work-alikes
1n60
1n100
1n192
1n270 (my favorite, it's a shame they're so expensive)

Silicon
Bat41/6
1n4001/2/7
1n914
40809 (glass case silicon)
1S1588

LEDs
Every diffused color

I also have a few unusual Shotkys (5158 etc), 4148s, a few gigantic plastic vintage diodes, and Zeners, but I'm not sure if they really work as clipping diodes. I guess I could find out pretty easily, but anyway ...

There are a few rare diodes that I can't find anywhere, like Ge reference diodes and MA856, and I know that I can use transistors and Mosfets as clippers.

Haberdasher

i guess if you want to be thorough you could include 1n695 germanium and bat85.
that's already a pretty good list though.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

mgwhit

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday and cruising the suppliers to see what I didn't have.  Do you have the $2.50 1S1588's from PPP?  Apparently that's what I put in my Aristocrat, but I'm not terribly interested in spending that much per diode again.  I've also heard some suggestions that those are "work-alikes" and not real 1S1588's, but I don't have a clue (a.) if that's true, or (b.) if that matters.

I've still got a couple of MA856's left over from my Aristocrat, but I'm going to save them up for a screamer or a modified Bluesbreaker one of these days.

midwayfair

Quote from: mgwhit on June 20, 2012, 07:54:11 AM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday and cruising the suppliers to see what I didn't have.  Do you have the $2.50 1S1588's from PPP?  Apparently that's what I put in my Aristocrat, but I'm not terribly interested in spending that much per diode again.  I've also heard some suggestions that those are "work-alikes" and not real 1S1588's, but I don't have a clue (a.) if that's true, or (b.) if that matters.

I've still got a couple of MA856's left over from my Aristocrat, but I'm going to save them up for a screamer or a modified Bluesbreaker one of these days.

https://www.effectsconnection.com has 1S1588s for waaaaaay less than $2.50. They were Brian's suggestion (though you need some google-fu to find out where! hehe :)). I didn't even see that PPP had them.

Effects Connection is switching management right now, but they have very good prices on some weird stuff. That's where my 1n100s came from, too.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 20, 2012, 03:21:54 AM

Definitely 1n695's. They are really great sounding Ge's. I like them better than the 1N60's and the 1N34 for most applications.

midwayfair

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 20, 2012, 08:11:24 AM

Definitely 1n695's. They are really great sounding Ge's. I like them better than the 1N60's and the 1N34 for most applications.

Cool. I'm cruising E-bay for the ones you and Keith suggested and finding a bunch of cool stuff in small lots, including some OA126s, which have a ridiculously high clipping threshold for Ge diodes.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: midwayfair on June 20, 2012, 08:14:36 AM

Cool. I'm cruising E-bay for the ones you and Keith suggested and finding a bunch of cool stuff in small lots, including some OA126s, which have a ridiculously high clipping threshold for Ge diodes.

Oooh yeah those are interesting .72 volts is more like the the Vf of a Si diode. I wonder if they sound good. Ill go halvsies on that big batch of 50 with you if you want to get some.

midwayfair

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 20, 2012, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on June 20, 2012, 08:14:36 AM

Oooh yeah those are interesting .72 volts is more like the the Vf of a Si diode. I wonder if they sound good. Ill go halvsies on that big batch of 50 with you if you want to get some.

Sure thing. I just ordered a cart full of interesting diodes including that lot of 50. PM me. :)

Edit: This is what I ended up getting, for anyone curious:
10x D9D Germanium
20x BA100 Black Glass
10x D9K Germanium
10x 1N695 (black glass)
20x 1N60P Germanium (new production)
10x OA1160 Germanium
10x OA95 Gold Bonded
10x 1N695 Germanium (teal and red stripes)
50x OA126 Black Glass
50x Bat85 new production (for $4!)

Er ... I also may have ordered a lot of 50 1n34a last night (it was on sale for $9, who can resist?), and I'm waiting on another order of 25x each of 1n100 and 1S1588 ... so that puts me at somewhere north of 400 diodes mainly intended for clipping in the house. Obviously I'm never going to use that many, so I'm thinking I'll do a couple little kits for people in the emporium after I have them all in hand, so that some other builders have a chance to use the more interesting ones (and maybe find a new favorite).

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on June 20, 2012, 08:27:35 AM
Sure thing. I just ordered a cart full of interesting diodes including that lot of 50. PM me. :)

Edit: This is what I ended up getting, for anyone curious:
10x D9D Germanium
20x BA100 Black Glass
10x D9K Germanium
10x 1N695 (black glass)
20x 1N60P Germanium (new production)
10x OA1160 Germanium
10x OA95 Gold Bonded
10x 1N695 Germanium (teal and red stripes)
50x OA126 Black Glass
50x Bat85 new production (for $4!)

Er ... I also may have ordered a lot of 50 1n34a last night (it was on sale for $9, who can resist?), and I'm waiting on another order of 25x each of 1n100 and 1S1588 ... so that puts me at somewhere north of 400 diodes mainly intended for clipping in the house. Obviously I'm never going to use that many, so I'm thinking I'll do a couple little kits for people in the emporium after I have them all in hand, so that some other builders have a chance to use the more interesting ones (and maybe find a new favorite).

I would be soooooooo interested in one of those little kits your talking about, what would it take to get one?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

mgwhit

Quote from: midwayfair on June 20, 2012, 08:02:32 AM
https://www.effectsconnection.com has 1S1588s for waaaaaay less than $2.50. They were Brian's suggestion (though you need some google-fu to find out where! hehe :)). I didn't even see that PPP had them.

Effects Connection is switching management right now, but they have very good prices on some weird stuff. That's where my 1n100s came from, too.

Thanks for the tip, Jon!  I'm all over those.

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on June 20, 2012, 09:25:59 AMI would be soooooooo interested in one of those little kits your talking about, what would it take to get one?

Paul

Give me some time to get the diodes in hand and (a) do some math regarding what they cost me and (b) find out if there's anything I really love and just can't bear to part with :). I'm going to be fairly limited what I can give up from the lots of 10x (I want to keep at least four of each to cover doubled/series/switched configs), but I'm thinking I'll do two or three "super kits" with a pair of everything I have, and then make a decent deal on an assortment of the more common ones with a small number of the rarer ones. The point would be expanding people's breadboarding and testing supply, not necessarily setting people up with stuff to solder. Obviously since I'm just getting parts from E-bay and online retailers, though, if anyone wants more than a couple of any given diode, they're better off getting them from a real supplier.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on June 20, 2012, 09:41:48 AM
Give me some time to get the diodes in hand and (a) do some math regarding what they cost me and (b) find out if there's anything I really love and just can't bear to part with :). I'm going to be fairly limited what I can give up from the lots of 10x (I want to keep at least four of each to cover doubled/series/switched configs), but I'm thinking I'll do two or three "super kits" with a pair of everything I have, and then make a decent deal on an assortment of the more common ones with a small number of the rarer ones. The point would be expanding people's breadboarding and testing supply, not necessarily setting people up with stuff to solder. Obviously since I'm just getting parts from E-bay and online retailers, though, if anyone wants more than a couple of any given diode, they're better off getting them from a real supplier.

Time is no problem, and (a) that's kinda hard, but we can work out the financials through PM-ing, bet we can work something out, I definitely want to pay a fair price. Regarding (b): you own the stuff the moment it arrives at your doorstep, and I trust your judgement on what you can or can't part with  ;)

As for testing/breadboarding: I socket all of the diodes in my overdrives and am currently in the process of getting together a Mudbunny board with only sockets, to get me that bit closer to the perfect fuzz.

What I'm trying to say: I would like to get some diodes that are hard to get, I don't want to buy everything you have and it would be best if as many people as possible could enjoy your diode frenzy!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

Did you mention 1n695s? Those are the Percolator/Pepper Spray ones, right? What other circuits have folks tried these in?

Your kits will be hard to resist...I will be on the lookout!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Bret608 on June 20, 2012, 01:06:25 PM
Did you mention 1n695s? Those are the Percolator/Pepper Spray ones, right? What other circuits have folks tried these in?

Your kits will be hard to resist...I will be on the lookout!

I use them in all kinds of different circuits. They sound great anywhere another Ge diode is too fizzy. They are my favorite in the Sunking with a BAT85. I've also used them in the KoK, the pepperspray, the neutrino, the TB MKIII and probably a few others. I recommend them.