News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The great destroyer - dwarfcraft devices kit

Started by night-B, June 25, 2012, 06:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

My take on their kit. The enclosure was pre-drilled and one knob is a little bit mis-aligned.
Had no other knobs then these cheap tayda ones at the moment, I'll replace them soon.
Hammertone paint with enamel lettering.
Tried it on a friend's gear and this thing snarls, spits, yells, oscillates etc... everything but vintage. It is a little bit incontrolable but once you've plugged it in, there are so much sounds you can get that you can't stop playing.
If someone want to get pics of the PCB layout, I can provide it.

Cheers!

bigrigg

ooooh pcb, schematic etc pretty please with fuzz on top. thanks and congrats

mgwhit

Wow.  There's just nothing there, is there?  One of the threads I read today after seeing this build and Googling around said that Aen has admitted he accidentally ordered the wrong IC from Mouser when trying to build a Tube Sound Fuzz and that this is what he came up with as a result.  Even if it's just apocryphal, it's funny.

@bigrigg: You can find the schematic easily if you Google it.

night-B

Yep he has made the circuit using the buffered chip of the 4049. A little bit of tweaking and voila!
1 chip, 3 resistors, 3 caps... Cheap and easy build!
Will post his PCB ASAP.
You can find a layout on Freestompboxes forum too.

nzCdog

Wow... awesome looking pedal, be great once you get the new knobs

Thats a funny story about how it came about... I love the sounds Dwarfcraft comes up with.  Cool build

night-B

Here is what I shot bigrigg :
I can highlight the traces if you want  ;)

rps-10

TGD are great fun, don't forget that if you use it first before any other pedal it will react to your guitar controls as well, every instrument you plug in to these things will envoke new sounds.

Hours of fun  ;D

(I'm about to rehouse mine into an old wah enclosure so I can use the treadle to alter the Starve control)

bigrigg

Quote from: night-B on June 26, 2012, 01:40:40 PM
Here is what I shot bigrigg :
I can highlight the traces if you want  ;)
Traces would be great.  The schematics and threads at diy or fsb are very confusing with many different opinions and versions that are not working etc.  Really hoping for a "verified" version.  Thanks so much.

night-B

night-B

This is what I came from after tracing the PCB. The design of the perfboard is awfull, I know...
This is just to get the idea of what's behind that circuit. You can breadboard it easyly.
This is Unverified but it should work  ;)

bigrigg

Quote from: night-B on July 02, 2012, 09:20:33 AM
This is what I came from after tracing the PCB. The design of the perfboard is awfull, I know...
This is just to get the idea of what's behind that circuit. You can breadboard it easyly.
This is Unverified but it should work  ;)

You sir are more than any breadboard artist could dream of being!  Thanks, will give this a go soon.  Appreciate your efforts and help.

Sockgazer

Hey there, does this sound like the original? Someone I know built one but it didn't sound quite right.

I'm looking to get one built cheaply for a friend basically.

night-B

I have built the kit and played a friend's original and they sound the same. This is a noisemaker, there's a lot of hiss, and if you use the starve pot, as soon as you stop playing a note there's a really annoying loud bleep sound...
I stopped playing with it quickly, I prefer more classical vintage fuzz tones or use fuzz factory or scrambler for extreme fuzz.
Please not that nobody has verified my layout yet...

Julien

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's amazing how little there is to that pedal..I gotta build one, thanks for turning me on!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals