News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Distressed Klone: What Happens When I Goof Up (non-Madbean build)

Started by whitebread47, June 26, 2012, 05:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitebread47

Here's a Klone I built.  A couple of errors:  Wired the LED backwards, gain pot acts like a tone cut instead of increasing gain (after a couple of headaches, I remembered that the only setting at which the gain acts normally is all the way down; that's the way I always set a Klone anyways so I left it). 

So this is an interesting looking Klon, but not because I'm an adept artist or know enclosure-prepping Kung Fu.  Basically, I got this enclosure pre-painted in wheat yellow or something like that.  Well, the clearcoat on it seemed either nonexistent or minimally coated, so I just arbitrarily sprayed over it with chocolatey brown Rustoleum for some reason.  Next, I tried to apply some Rustoleum clear, but it went on like a powder (not sure why, but it literally came out and behaved like powdered sugar would).  Well, I decided I didn't like this, so I began scraping off the browned & powdered layers.  This is the result:

Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

nzCdog

whitebread47

Quote from: nzCdog on June 26, 2012, 05:46:36 PM
= relic...  moar mojo ;)
where did you get the pcb?

Yeah, I only intended to use the enclosure to test the circuit, but now I dig it!  I got the PCB from a member over on the BYOC forum a while back; it was part of a group buy.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

greyscales

nzCdog

I really like it... a definite 'character' pedal for the board. 

midwayfair

Is that a Grind Customs Chimeara board? Weird that the gain pot isn't working right ...

whitebread47

Quote from: midwayfair on June 26, 2012, 07:14:13 PM
Is that a Grind Customs Chimeara board? Weird that the gain pot isn't working right ...

I got it from Rej, but this one is from gtrplaya101's group buy, but from what I understand it's the same layout as the Chimaera. 

Yeah, the wiring is correct (checked it like 50 times, literally).  I basically use it as a clean boost to add a little girth and push my Vox into breakup, so for a personal pedal I just left it as is.  I'll probably get curious and troubleshoot it some more at some point.
Blake

pickdropper

That looks good.  Sometimes, the distressed finishes look really fake to me (see most Fender relics), but this one works.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

The more i look at your enclosure the more i want one.....really my kind of look ;)

I sold him those board but they're not my product..... i also tried to figure out what was happening with this built when it was posted over BYOC but just could'nt......

I've built over 25 of these klones without any issue.....

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

whitebread47

Quote from: pickdropper on June 26, 2012, 07:28:39 PM
That looks good.  Sometimes, the distressed finishes look really fake to me (see most Fender relics), but this one works.

Thanks.  My main guitar is a blonde Road Worn Tele, and I know what you mean about looking fake; the wear on the higher frets was a bit much.  Good thing for me that it plays like a dream, or I'd have sold it long ago.

I think the only reason this works for the pedal is that I wasn't trying to go with a relic'd look.  I was just scraping away at the top coats in random spots, hehe.  Had I tried it would look intentional I'm sure.

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 26, 2012, 10:35:50 PM
The more i look at your enclosure the more i want one.....really my kind of look ;)

..... i also tried to figure out what was happening with this built when it was posted over BYOC but just could'nt......

It'll certainly stand out, that's for sure! 

I imagine the problem is something really simple (usually is).  Not sure if a bad pot would cause that, seems to me there's something off in the section of the circuit that pot is connected to?  I haven't bothered too hard to figure it out since it's a personal build and I never turn the gain up on these things.
Blake

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 26, 2012, 10:35:50 PM

I sold him those board but they're not my product..... i also tried to figure out what was happening with this built when it was posted over BYOC but just could'nt......

I've built one of gtrplyr's boards and also had no issues at all (other than not leaving enough space for the battery...)

It's a v. nice board. Though I don't think I could bring myself to make 25 of them... Which is also the reason I picked up 4 of these new boards. I knew there'd be people that want them, but I only use them to fund my personal pedal building obsession so I didn't want to be making loads of them. I find making the same thing over and over get's old fast.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

I agree with you Juan, it gets long to make the same layout over and over......but that model is part of my product line....people really dig it...so i build it.....

If you take a look in my built thread called Artic Rush, you'll see that there's a way to accomodate the interior of a 1590BB to easily fit a battery.

My new layout of that circuit is alot more compact just a bit over 2inch by 2inch pcb, so it can fit a 1590B with a battery  8)

Sorry for the thread hijack....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/