News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Allparts Necks- Finishing Quality?

Started by claytushaywood, June 28, 2012, 10:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I've recently found an enormously discounted website for allparts necks and bodies.  Their finished necks are only $50 more than unfinished and I'd like to hear some reviews of their work here in recent times (or old times if that's when you got one) i just wanna know when you got the neck.  I remember hearing that their "nitro" finish was actually nitro sprayed over poly and was super thick and non resonant.  But then I think i remember hearing that they changed that.

I like thin finish necks- but as long as it's not gloopy gloppy thick for the price I'd probably be fine with anything good enough.  I would definitely like something better than my MIM fender neck that's on this new telemaster I got (the body is a relic'd super thin nitro finish in surf green from MJT- super light swamp ash- so i'd like a nice thin nitro neck to match)

Allparts also has a new "satin aged finish" that apparently is actually poly- but it's supposed to have a vintage tint and be satin smooth- which suggests a thin finish at least.  My blacktop strat has a very nicely resonating poly finish that's not too thin and it soudns okay enough- it does have a natural rosewood board though.  Definitely not nitro, but it's good enough.

So- I could save a good deal of money getting a nice fat maple neck with big frets (also interested in rosewood reviews)- but I dont wanna waste my money if the finish is gonna be super thick, sticky and choking.

Thanks a bunch!  Any experience would be wonderful to hear about!

jubal81

I can't speak from experience, but I've read Tru Oil is dead easy to finish a neck with and gives the thin & smooth results.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Jargo

What's the site? if you don't mind sharing

GermanCdn

I'd be really careful with "enormously discounted necks", be it Allparts or otherwise.  I bought a few Mighty Mite necks on a similar "deal" a couple of years back, and all of the heels were cut slightly off center, rendering them functionally useless once installed as the high E was nearly falling off the fretboard while the low E hard nearly a 1/4" clearance to the edge.  They went to the garbage, as rerouting the body or reworking the heels was far too much work for what the necks were worth.

As far as finishing the necks yourself goes, it is pretty easy.  My personal method of choice is three thin layers of satin poly (back of the neck), hand rubbed, and then smoothed out with 0000 steel wool.  Makes for just enough protection for the wood, while still giving a nearly naked feel.

As far as solid rosewood necks go, they will definitely warm up your tone, and usually they don't require a finish.  Debating buying a baritone solid rosewood neck from Warmoth my self.

Good luck and have fun.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.