News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestion: Extra transistor pcb hole for in-line socket option

Started by Effectsiation, June 28, 2012, 07:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Effectsiation

Hi folks,

I'm hoping the ol' bean will get around to this, but I wanted to suggest that with all the different component options he offers for many of his boards (to allow for different capacitor spacing or different trimpot styles), that maybe for transistors he could add an extra hole to account for 3-pin "in-line" sockets and not just the 3-pin transistor "triangle-style" sockets.

Other places like GGG do this already, and it's where I got the idea. I enjoy not having to bend vintage germanium transistors around to fit into the "triangle-style" socket.  Also, snapping off 3 "in-line" sockets is much cheaper than buying the triangle ones if the transistor spacing doesn't call for them.

Here's a pic of a GGG example:

culturejam

Which boards are you working with that only have the triangle configuration?

All of the madbean boards I've used have the 3-in-line setup.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

calciferspit

Quote from: culturejam on June 28, 2012, 10:47:25 AM
Which boards are you working with that only have the triangle configuration?

All of the madbean boards I've used have the 3-in-line setup.
Mangler, Bumblebee, Pastyface, Pepper Spray.... anything made for old germaniums.

DutchMF

Quote from: calciferspit on June 28, 2012, 10:57:20 AM
.... anything made for old germaniums.

Well, that's the whole deal: old germaniums = triangle, newer stuff = 3-in-line. Not to hard to work around, no?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

calciferspit

the point is being able to use the much cheaper inline snap-off sockets instead of the expensive vintage triangle ones. Its not dire, it'd just be nice, and there is room in the footprint of the trannies to do this, so why not?

DutchMF

I've snapped off 3 single sockets and soldered them in place one at a time (keeping them in place with a piece of tape) but I sense that's not really an answer for you as well.......... Maybe Brian's up for it, maybe not, but his stuff is brilliant anyway!!
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Yup, this is a good idea. It's too late to add them to existing projects, but I will do this for any future germanium oriented projects.

irmcdermott

Quote from: DutchMF on June 28, 2012, 12:13:59 PM
I've snapped off 3 single sockets and soldered them in place one at a time (keeping them in place with a piece of tape) but I sense that's not really an answer for you as well.......... Maybe Brian's up for it, maybe not, but his stuff is brilliant anyway!!

thats what I do too

Matt Gnarly

Quote from: DutchMF on June 28, 2012, 12:13:59 PM

Why have I not thought of using tape? That would make things so much easier haha.