News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Getting full size parts into the tiny 1590A boxes

Started by icecycle66, November 11, 2012, 02:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

I just finished putting together my first, and probably last, series of 1590A pedals.  
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6959.0

I didn't bother actually following the guidance on the forum (not recommended) about how to get everything to fit.  I did it my own way, all with the full sized parts that I already had.

The process was the same as usual other than doing some work on the three jacks.

To use full size in/out jacks, I used my Dremel to cut all the space wasting parts off.  Then, after I solder the wires, I wrap them with electrical tape to keep them from contacting other stuff.  I wonder why jacks are made circularly, a lot of space is saved if they would just make them like this in the first place.

These are Tayda 1/4 inch jacks.  

I also alter my power jacks. All I do is grind down one of the lips. It makes it easier to slip into the hole when you are trying to avoid the potentiometer base.

I broke one of my power jacks the other day, I wasn't paying attention and put the nut on tighter than a dolphins butt hole.
Anyway, this is what they look like on the inside.

DutchMF

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 11, 2012, 02:02:36 AM
I wasn't paying attention and put the nut on tighter than a dolphins butt hole.

I really did not know dolphins had such extremely tight butt holes. Or that they had one in the first place...  ;)

The thing you did to your in/out jacks, with the electrical tape, seems like a very good idea in a 1590A, thanks for sharing. As for why they are made round, I think it is just easier (and thus cheaper) to manufacture.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Clever, Angelo! I've had a couple 1590B builds that would have gone a lot smoother if I'd just thought of mutilating the metal jacks.