News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Circuit Question

Started by spaceboss, June 29, 2012, 08:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboss

I've completed an MN3005 Dirtbag and it is wonderful. (I'll do a build report when I get knobs.) The only problem is that the circuit is super easy to clip--which I understand is a 'feature' of the original DMM.

I have to lower the level of the effect and preceding drives to well below unity to avoid the clipping diode being constantly red. It does create an audible difference, I'm not just listening with my eyes.  ;D

The question I have, because I'm largely illiterate when it comes to complicated schematics:

Is the clipping indicator actually part of the audio circuit? Or does it merely indicate that clipping is occurring?

If it is part of the audio circuit, would using a more robust LED than a 5mm red diffused make any difference?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge.

James

madbean

If your LED is constantly red, something is definitely amiss. Unity output should occur somewhere in the first third of the Level pot setting. You may get brief amounts of the LED lighting up but it should not be constant. As you dial the Level up, the input to the delay section increases and you get some op-amp clipping as well as more of the LED going off.

The LED is not actually part of the audio. First, make sure that you have used the correct values for R2, R3, R19 R18, and R20.

To lower the brightness of the LED, simply increase R20. I suggest a socket, and start with 4k7.

spaceboss

Thanks Brian. I'll look into that. It does sound excellent.

James