News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Violet Ram's Head Mudbunny

Started by mgwhit, May 24, 2012, 07:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

I just went to check my voltages on this for a Tech Help post and realized that I had never posted a build thread, so here goes.

Here I'm preparing to drill out the top of the enclosure.  I'm not really going to start with that unibit -- must've been left on the drill press from a previous outing.  I only use that one for the power jack.  I usually start with a punch for the center of each hole and then a 1/8" starter hole.  I've printed out a paper copy of what will eventually be my waterslide and affixed it with double-sided tape.

And here are the waterslides themselves.  Two in case of an emergency (although I tend to be less conservative these days).

I wish I hadn't used so many carbon film resistors.  Big Muffs are noisy enough as it is.  I also wish I would've gone back and tweaked the mids like I wanted to, but sloth prevailed.  Lotta space in that 1590BB, but it's still more pedalboard friendly than a real Big Muff.

The finished product,  The silver sparkle (pedalpartsplus) shows through the purple lettering a little bit, which looks great in real life.

Even got a violet LED for it just to complete the look.

Around the time I was working on this I had posted a Tech Help thread because the gain was through the roof, the tone knob didn't have much useable play and the volume was instantly on.  I set the board aside for a while and when I came back to box it up I noticed that I had mixed up the pots.   :P

I think this pedal sounds phenomenal, but because of the mids situation it can get lost in a band context.  My solution: tell everyone else to back off.

sgmezei

Silver and Purple is a great combo. Sweet build!

I have to build another because a Bass player managed to get it out of my hands.

Love it! I am definetly going to have to get some silver boxes from PPP.

Mike B.

Very nice professional build MG!

I like the idea of doing the drill template and graphics at the same time too. I've been doing two separate steps - no idea why I never thought of that.

gtr2

This build is CLASSY looking!  I too like purple and sparkly grey.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

That is just gorgeous!
Very nice work

mgwhit

Thanks, guys!  I wish I were more artsy, but I do love the simplicity of that one.

The funny thing about using the same graphic for your drill template and your waterslide decal is that you get to see what a crappy job of drilling you did when the holes on your decal don't line up perfectly with the ones on your enclosure.  Luckily the knobs cover up the imperfections.

pickdropper

I don't know why you'd wish for something more artsy.  That looks simple and classy.  I think with the sparkle enclosure, a bit less on the label works well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

I think it looks great the way it is, personally.  Though I dig a good piece of artwork on an enclosure, the ones I'm most visually drawn to are minimalist.  That violet LED sets it off!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

bigmufffuzzwizz

I really like the look of this. That's something I would love to have on my board...your pretty pro at the decals!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals