News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dog-friendly designing?

Started by jubal81, July 03, 2012, 08:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I'm feeling bad for my pooch. Lately when I play he gets really annoyed and starts a kind of pained howl. (Hey, I know I'm not THAT bad)

I've been letting him hang out on the deck when I get going, but it's way too hot to do that these days. I'm not sure what's putting out the offending frequencies and I don't know if there might be an RC filter that can be added to make a 'dog-safety' noise supressor.

Anyone else have a similar problem?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Matt Gnarly

Play acoustic? My dog doesn't mind when I play through my pedals and amps as long as it's low volume, he hates the bass and harmonica and loves the acoustic and banjo. Sorry I'm not too much help.

plesur

I had a dog when I was young that howled at the harmonica. It also wagged its tail at the same time, so I don't think that it was in pain. I was told that dogs do that as it is a primal pack instinct to howl when the pack leader (you) howls to gather the pack together for hunting.

That dog hated fireworks though.

GermanCdn

My old dog used to howl like nuts, but only on one song, and it's the only song we played in B, so we assumed something in that key was the culprit.  So, of course, we named the song after him, which was appropriate, as it was an instrumental so no weird lyrics to work around.  The moral of the story - I don't think there's a filter you can use, as it is most likely in the playing and not in the frequencies you can't hear.  If he howls in key, record and sample it, you'll make millions.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Matt Gnarly

Quote from: plesur on July 04, 2012, 08:00:09 AM
I had a dog when I was young that howled at the harmonica. It also wagged its tail at the same time, so I don't think that it was in pain. I was told that dogs do that as it is a primal pack instinct to howl when the pack leader (you) howls to gather the pack together for hunting.

That dog hated fireworks though.

Thanks for the heads up, maybe he doesn't hate the harmonica and he's just following suit. He also hates fireworks, and thunder, and bugs, and things in the dark... He has a lot of phobias haha.

jubal81

He sings more out of key than I do, and that's quite a feat. However, he once was wagging his tail against my giant holy grail and it sounded like he was playing cow bell with me. Jammed together for about 4 or 5 minutes.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

k.rock!

Hahaha that's funny. Actually, you're not hurting his ears at all! Here's an article about Why do Dogs howl when they hear music:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6617053_do-dogs-howl-hear-music_.html

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

k.rock!

Here's me while I was trying out some tubes and a new cab on my Tiny Terror and noticed Panda was doing this, so I took a quick video of it :D

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jubal81

Quote from: k.rock! on July 04, 2012, 04:59:30 PM
Hahaha that's funny. Actually, you're not hurting his ears at all! Here's an article about Why do Dogs howl when they hear music:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6617053_do-dogs-howl-hear-music_.html

-Kaleb

Wow, thanks a bunch for the link! I feel a lot better now. Great video, too.
I love border collies. One I had was so smart it was scary.
- David Fair

juansolo

Quote from: k.rock! on July 04, 2012, 05:28:04 PM

Here's me while I was trying out some tubes and a new cab on my Tiny Terror and noticed Panda was doing this, so I took a quick video of it :D

-K

That's awesome!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Bret608

Dude, your dog howling between those runs brings new meaning to the blues call-and-response thing!

k.rock!

hahaha! thanks dudes! It was so funny when I saw her howling like that. I definitely worried the first time thinking, "Oh man! I'm probably playing too loud for her!" Then I lowered the volume a lot and she still howled! So I thought there's no way I'm hurting her ears with this. That's when I found that article and thought, well, let's have some fun Panda! haha She's really cool.

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com