News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

this is funny!

Started by jimijam, July 05, 2012, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimijam

tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

night-B

Chinese mass production boutique pedals ??? ???

atreidesheir

I own joyo, biyang, and moen pedals.  I love every one of them. 
This is a good time to be a consumer.
These pedals look like a very serious attempt to field boutique-killers.
To me the Moen's were a far more serious attempt to sell professional level pedals.
This looks like an effort of that calibre or better.  Even the Moen's had stupid graphics.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

icecycle66

To heck with the pedal, I'm drawn in by that sweet patch cable deal.

alanp

So, is the boring old 1590B case now trendy? I might have to rehouse all my 1590B pedals if so...  ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Quote from: icecycle66 on July 05, 2012, 03:14:05 PM
To heck with the pedal, I'm drawn in by that sweet patch cable deal.

lolz. 

Quote from: atreidesheir on July 05, 2012, 02:58:25 PM
I own joyo, biyang, and moen pedals.  I love every one of them. 
This is a good time to be a consumer.
These pedals look like a very serious attempt to field boutique-killers.
To me the Moen's were a far more serious attempt to sell professional level pedals.
This looks like an effort of that calibre or better.  Even the Moen's had stupid graphics.

I often wonder how much of the 'toan' is in the label on the pedal ;)

jubal81

Well, the BS is actually a lot less BS-y than on a lot of these things. It doesn't look like a toy, either. Honestly, I'd say $50 is pretty fair for what's probably a straightforward TS clone.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimijam

tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

jolly1423

For what the parts cost at 50 bucks it's almost tempting...almost  ;)

midwayfair

In all seriousness, it does look like they put some thought into the pedal with a mind to someone who actually gigs. If I weren't building stuff, I'd probably be a heck of a lot more excited about this than any of the gobs of cheap 808 knockoffs out there. The current price is clearly meant as an attention grabber (like the original Joyos -- the new Joyos don't use as high quality parts), and Korean builders do make good music gear. And this sounds a little ridiculous, but they didn't even bother using graphical "code" to sell the pedal. It's not green. It's not shaped a particular way.

I don't see much marketing BS there, except for putting the word "boutique" all over the place, and let's face it, if you've been on thegearpage, that !@#$% probably works.

r4ndy

Quote from: jimijam on July 05, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
audiophile knobs.... ;D

I have some of these - WOOT - I am an audiophile  :P

jtn191

Quote from: r4ndy on July 06, 2012, 07:31:14 AM
audiophile knobs.... ;D

you know it sounds good when it "feels" good  :D

pickdropper

Quote from: r4ndy on July 06, 2012, 07:31:14 AM
audiophile knobs.... ;D

The best audiophile knob of all time was the Reference Audio Wooden Knob with C37 lacquer.  It was a mere $485.  The original site doesn't have it listed anymore (I assume due to ridicule), but here is a reference to it with some of the sales jargon:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4309/
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

Quote from: pickdropper on July 06, 2012, 09:07:32 PM

The best audiophile knob of all time was the Reference Audio Wooden Knob with C37 lacquer.  It was a mere $485.  The original site doesn't have it listed anymore (I assume due to ridicule), but here is a reference to it with some of the sales jargon:

This takes the cake for ridiculous marketing schemes.  What I understand less than the person who considers this legit (if they exist, which I have no reason to believe they don't) is the person who sells, or at least attempts to sell these. 

I'd imagine for $20 a knob, there'd be plenty of buyers just curious enough to test the claims; all one would need to do is create a listing on TGP and let the argument/hype commence.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

pickdropper

Quote from: whitebread47 on July 06, 2012, 09:58:42 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on July 06, 2012, 09:07:32 PM

This takes the cake for ridiculous marketing schemes.  What I understand less than the person who considers this legit (if they exist, which I have no reason to believe they don't) is the person who sells, or at least attempts to sell these. 

I'd imagine for $20 a knob, there'd be plenty of buyers just curious enough to test the claims; all one would need to do is create a listing on TGP and let the argument/hype commence.

I am not sure that would fly at TGP, either.  There are some oddball Audiophile sites out there, though.

If I remember correctly, C37 lacquer is used on violins, so clearly it will have a profound effect on a stereo knob.    ;D

Pt Barnum time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper