News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baxandall Tone Stack

Started by greyscales, July 06, 2012, 11:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

I've been interested in using a more complex tone stack in overdrives lately and have been satisfied with those that use Baxandall/James tone stacks. However, after several Google searches there doesn't seem to be consistent schematics or examples of how to incorporate them into an existing circuit. Especially for guitar use instead of hifi use.
I have seen how the Xotic RC/AC booster uses one in essentially a Tubescreamer. Madbean also used one in his Tilt overdrive. Would you be able to essentially lift the same one and put it in another overdrive? Also it would be nice to know how to modify it to use in front of a boost (like an SHO). Some websites say there are impedance and loading issues with it, but not how to remedy it for guitar specific circuits.
So, can anybody help educate me on tone stacks?

FWIW, I know Duncan's TSC is a tool people often use for this but it doesn't seem to be Mac compatible.  :-\

oldhousescott

The James stack needs make-up gain as it is strictly a passive cut design. The actual Bax stack is in the feedback loop and can truly boost as well as cut.

I don't see why you couldn't lift the Xotic circuit and apply it elsewhere. As long as you have a buffer before it, you should be able to run it into anything else, including a booster. Here's a page showing how to calculate the turnover frequencies. There are some other filter circuits on that page that may or may not be useful.

eldanko

Forum member aziltz has a "Micro EQ" PCB available at his Stompbox Depot website that can be added to existing builds if anyone is looking for a quick and easy solution... I believe it was based on the Baxandall, but don't quote me on that.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense