News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Geiger Gate

Started by juansolo, July 08, 2012, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I don't normally post non-MB builds here, but this was fabbed by Haberdasher so I thought I would. That and I think it looks cool.

--

Reverse engineered by Galego on DIYSB , this is Slade's true-bypass and seriously shrunk down version of a Decimator.

We were originally wanting something along the original Alien poster with "in space no one can hear you scream" or with the Nostromo on it. Both would have been really dark which causes us all sorts of problems, so we try and avoid that. Instead Geiger's Alien Lifecycle 'doodle' really fit well and I knew would work nicely. Yep, it's intentional that the stomp is the chest burster ;)

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

night-B

As an alien and giger fan I really dig it! What do you think of the clone? Original decimator works really great.

LaceSensor

love the artwork (giger / alien fan)
very inspiring work.

juansolo

Quote from: night-B on July 08, 2012, 11:04:10 AM
As an alien and giger fan I really dig it! What do you think of the clone? Original decimator works really great.

Works very well indeed. I've got one that's more like the original (where it's essentially unbypassable) and it's functionally identical (when it's on). That and a WET Reverb are permanent residents in my effects loop.

ncdb07

Awesome build! Love the Graphics!
ncdb07
Daniel

nzCdog

Tidy!  :o The graphic is great, one of those 'stare at for ages' illustrations...  I have to build this soon, I havre the board but been trying to catchup on all these cool projects :o

GrindCustoms

Hi Juan, i have a question about the LF353 IC in this project, i have the option of getting them with a common rejection ratio of 70db or 80db.

The original decimator have a treshold range that goes from -70db to +10db....

Will the op-amp make a difference in the lowest or highest settings?

Thanks

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimijam

nice build mate! I started this today with the g-string mod. I'm glad this project was made available. it's the best noise gate i've ever used.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2012, 04:47:52 PM
Hi Juan, i have a question about the LF353 IC in this project, i have the option of getting them with a common rejection ratio of 70db or 80db.

Thanks

Rej

I don't know in all honesty, but I would expect it would be in the upper settings. I tend to find it squashes everything before you reach the end of the dial anyhow so I suspect it doesn't matter too much. As you'd never wind it round that far anyhow.

jimmybjj

Juansolo, how much is the tone effected when the pedal is engaged? I built one based on the one before Slade released his most resent board, and I find there is a substantial difference. I don't think it is bad just different. I know you built the last one two, did you find this to be true?
Pcbs no longer available

juansolo

Quote from: jimmybjj on July 10, 2012, 05:47:54 AM
Juansolo, how much is the tone effected when the pedal is engaged? I built one based on the one before Slade released his most resent board, and I find there is a substantial difference. I don't think it is bad just different. I know you built the last one two, did you find this to be true?

If you're talking about the pedal engaged but the gate wide open, I haven't noticed any tone suck. Likewise used subtley, it's one of least noticable gates I've come across, in a good way. Used heavy handedly it can certainly cut great chunks out of your signal.

Inevitably there will be some... But I can't hear it. My hearing ain't brilliant to be fair so YMMV.

Tonally, I couldn't tell the difference between the two pedals when we back-to-backed them.

marauder

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2012, 04:47:52 PM

Thanks

Rej

The last two we built have TL07x opamps and not the LF353.  We backed to backed them with the huge one that Juan orginally built and they sound the same.

juansolo

Shows how much attention I was paying when I assembled it ;)

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the answer Juan and Marauder. ;)

Just to add to the question about tone sucking, i currently have 2 original ISP Decimator in my high gain rig.

My guitar goes at first in a decimator, then goes 3 Boost/OD pedals and then through another decimator.

The first one is set at -40db and the second one at -30db, i've verified at low and at ear bleeding level if there was a serious tone sucking happening. Compared to the un-treated signal, there's a little hi-pass filtering happening, but nothing that hurts the tone, cuts pretty much everything over 15khz.

Compared to the stereo Rocktron HushSuperC i had before and Boss NS-2, there's no «compression effect» like those 2 make.

So if that circuit is true to the original, it's pure WIN! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jkokura

If it's cutting above 15KHz, that's low pass filtering...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals