News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Geiger Gate

Started by juansolo, July 08, 2012, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Sorry..., it's what i wanted to say.... ::)

Quote from: jkokura on July 10, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
If it's cutting above 15KHz, that's low pass filtering...

Jacob
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Guybrush

I don't suppose you've got a link to the build PDF handy have you?  There's a lot of pages to wade through on the thread and I like to have a nosey at the layout etc to see if I'm up to the level of understanding needed to build it before starting on working my way through all the posts.

Thanks

juansolo

Quote from: Guybrush on July 14, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
I don't suppose you've got a link to the build PDF handy have you?  There's a lot of pages to wade through on the thread and I like to have a nosey at the layout etc to see if I'm up to the level of understanding needed to build it before starting on working my way through all the posts.

Thanks

I've got a copy of the ones I've used in my stash here.

I haven't done the G-String one mind you.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Guybrush

Fantastic.  Thank you very much!

lincolnic

Juan, the Decimator layout you linked to seems to have a different BOM and layout from the one you built. What's the difference between these two?

ETA: Nevermind, I just realized I was looking at everything except for the PDF link at the bottom, which matches up to your build.

juansolo

Yeah I made the earlier one too, that's what the other docs are for:

lincolnic

Of the two, which do you prefer?

juansolo

The big one is a straight clone of the original pedal. It's got on-board switching and is technically never off (the trimmer sets unity when the pedal is 'off'). I've tweaked the docs in my stash with the couple of changes that were needed for my build (and noted them on the BOM).

The Slade one is a simplified true bypass version. When on, they do the same job the same way. The newer board is particularly nicely done though and much easier to box up. That's the only real reason to pick one over the other really. Packaging and switching. Sonically I can't tell the difference between them.

There's a big thread over on DIYSB covering all this.

lincolnic

Cheers, thanks! My roommate is hurting for a noise gate so I think I'll build him the newer, smaller one.

juansolo

I've tidied up the ISP folder in my schematic stash so it should make more sense now as to what is what.

lincolnic

Two more questions - does the smaller Slade board fit in a 1590B, or does it need a 125B? And is there an easily accessible BOM for the Slade version somewhere? I looked through the DIYSB thread but didn't see one, and I feel like it'll be really easy to miss something reading it off of the placement chart.

juansolo

Not seen a BOM for it sadly.

Worth having a good look at mine in comparison to the layout to see where I've had to use small parts. It's VERY tight in places.

It will definitely fit in a little box. I've only put it in the medium one because the guy I made it for wanted battery provision and I couldn't get it in a small one with the battery.

Hangingmonkey

Nice pedal.  Im building one from the slade layout.  Board is mostly populated but am waiting for the infamous THAT chip.

What are you supposed to do to set the trimmer, is it a case of fiddling with it and setting it by ear?

Thanks

lincolnic

Thanks for all the info, Juan.

GrindCustoms

Got 4 of these «Slade» boards coming in from Haderbasher, will see if we can stack 2 of them in a 125B...for stereo operation....

Really need to get rid of the 2 original decimator i have on my board....takes way too much place...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/