News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Geiger Gate

Started by juansolo, July 08, 2012, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 16, 2012, 12:13:50 PM
Nice pedal.  Im building one from the slade layout.  Board is mostly populated but am waiting for the infamous THAT chip.

What are you supposed to do to set the trimmer, is it a case of fiddling with it and setting it by ear?

Thanks

Yep, it sets unity. it's pretty easy with the new board. Doing it with the original I had to stick it in a switchable loop box I have to set it accurately.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Guybrush

Quote from: lincolnic on July 16, 2012, 10:28:14 AM
Iis there an easily accessible BOM for the Slade version somewhere? I looked through the DIYSB thread but didn't see one, and I feel like it'll be really easy to miss something reading it off of the placement chart.

Here's a BOM I drew up.  Pretty sure there's nothing missing but please let me know if you spot any errors.

EDIT: Updated version with all corrections made - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Se8TNVfzD8RIMDnX8gaMBsMLl4qP3QU10EGyK6uUJzk/edit?usp=sharing

Please note that this is for the Slade version that can be found in Juansolo's (very helpful) schematic stash http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/schematics/ISP/ISP%20Decimator%20Slade.pdf

EDIT: Seems that link is now dead. Here's a link to the version I saved to my Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oJbcGLUsFCc01JNXM5Y3diUDg/view?usp=sharing (Juan, please let me know if you'd rather I remove this link).

Hope this is of some help. 

The only thing that I'm not sure on is the 22M resistor is the bottom right corner of the board.  I can't find anywhere that sells resistors of such a high value.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

juansolo

We have 1 spare, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

If you're ordering the THAT from Farnell/CPC, they do the 22M resistor.

marauder

Quote from: Guybrush on July 17, 2012, 03:49:11 AM
Quote from: lincolnic on July 16, 2012, 10:28:14 AM
Iis there an easily accessible BOM for the Slade version somewhere? I looked through the DIYSB thread but didn't see one, and I feel like it'll be really easy to miss something reading it off of the placement chart.

Here's a BOM I drew up.  Pretty sure there's nothing missing but please let me know if you spot any errors.

Please note that this is for the Slade version that can be found in Juansolo's (very helpful) schematic stash http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/schematics/ISP/ISP%20Decimator%20Slade.pdf

Here's a download link to the Excel file.  http://www.2shared.com/file/7bY3WI-R/ISP_Decimator_Slade_BOM.html

Hope this is of some help.  

The only thing that I'm not sure on is the 22M resistor is the bottom right corner of the board.  I can't find anywhere that sells resistors of such a high value.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

50R resistor should be 750R, diode should be 1N5819, all I've noticed so far.

lincolnic

Guybrush

No worries!

The mistakes have now been fixed in my original post.  Thanks for pointing them out Marauder.  I was doing on the sly at work and had to keep closing it when someone walked by  ;D  Hopefully all correct now.

marauder

Quote from: Guybrush on July 17, 2012, 08:48:27 AM
No worries!

The mistakes have now been fixed in my original post.  Thanks for pointing them out Marauder.  I was doing on the sly at work and had to keep closing it when someone walked by  ;D  Hopefully all correct now.

Oh, and the diodes in the brackets are wrong.  Right part, wrong substitution.

GrindCustoms

Geez, i did'nt see those 22M resistor...i tought it was 2.2M.... :o

Anyone have 4 to spare? I would paypal or PIF you something in return....

I have all the components in house..... ::)

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Guybrush

Quote from: marauder on July 17, 2012, 09:23:36 AM

Oh, and the diodes in the brackets are wrong.  Right part, wrong substitution.

Damn.  All now fixed on original post.

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 17, 2012, 12:00:27 PM

Rej

That was our last spare :(

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on July 17, 2012, 02:20:48 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 17, 2012, 12:00:27 PM

Rej

That was our last spare :(

A buddy at BYOC saved me! :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: juansolo on July 16, 2012, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 16, 2012, 12:13:50 PM
Nice pedal.  Im building one from the slade layout.  Board is mostly populated but am waiting for the infamous THAT chip.

What are you supposed to do to set the trimmer, is it a case of fiddling with it and setting it by ear?

Thanks

Yep, it sets unity. it's pretty easy with the new board. Doing it with the original I had to stick it in a switchable loop box I have to set it accurately.

Thanks Juan.  I received my 2181C today and got the pedal working.  Im very pleased with it.  Keefe etched the board and did a great job.  I just fiddled with the trim and it seems that theres a large range where it can be rotated where it works fine and I cant tell the difference.   Is that normal?

I guess as it works fine it doesnt matter but for my own interest, what does unity mean?  Ive tried google but couldnt find anything usefull.  Anyone sympathetic out there who could explain it to me?
;D

juansolo

Unity is when the pedal is engaged it's no louder or quieter than when it's off.

Easiest way to set is to turn the knob fully anti-clockwise (so the gate is wide open and letting everything through), play something while turning the pedal on and off. Then just adjust it until the trim so that the level doesn't change whether it's on or off.

lincolnic

Resurrecting this thread since I'm about to place a parts order: what model trimpot did you use there? I can't quite make out the number in your gutshot, is it a 3362P?

juansolo