News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard folk - LED clipping & LPF

Started by Beedoola, July 11, 2012, 07:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm building a Boneyard - most recent version, and have installed D4 yet as the PDF states you can achieve symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping depending on whether D4 is included in the circuit. My question is - which do you prefer, or did you wire D4 to a switch allowing for both?

Also with the Low Pass Filter option - I already wired the components in cause I forgot about that option. What are you thoughts in the LPF, did you leave C13 and R12 will or did you omit them?

And for the Oscillation stoppage - Did you use different value pots to stop this? shielded wire, etc

Thanks

mgwhit

When I had this circuit on my breadboard I tried symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping and couldn't decide which I preferred.  Have it on a switch now and still can't decide, although I think I've left it on asymmetrical for a while.

I think this is a fairly bright circuit, so I preferred including the low-pass filter.  I didn't have a 1n5, so I think I used a 1n C13 and a 15K R12 to preserve the cut-off frequency.

I never experienced the dreaded oscillation even at max gain when I had the circuit on the breadboard, but I tried the 1uF C5, 100R R5 half-gain mod and preferred the range of the controls in that configuration, so that's what I used when I soldered up my board.  Still no oscillation.  If I were nervous about this, I'd probably start with wiring R1 off-board.  Good luck!

Beedoola

Cool thanks, I'll add a switch for the clipping choices.

I already installed the 2.2uf C5 and the 47R R5 but if I get oscillation I'll try those values.