News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transformers in Parallel

Started by irmcdermott, July 12, 2012, 03:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Just thought I'd ask this in the open discussion section, but I've been searching the web and cannot find a concrete answer. I'm planning on building a power supply with the Weber transformer and want to know if it is possible to run the primaries of two transformers in parallel off the 120V main? I'm sure I'd need to up my fuse, but does anyone have any experience with this or can at least tell me if it's ok to do?.

I think I can fit both, and enough jacks in the enclosure i'm working with, and that way I can have isolated 9V and 18V and not have to tie a bunch off. Thanks!

Ian

stecykmi

i don't see why that wouldn't work. it's basically the same thing as plugging two of them into a power bar or the same wall socket.

you could use separate fuses for each xformer.

nzCdog

Quote from: stecykmi on July 12, 2012, 04:09:18 PM
i don't see why that wouldn't work. it's basically the same thing as plugging two of them into a power bar or the same wall socket.

you could use separate fuses for each xformer.

^this
Yes, either use a bigger fuse or fuse the two separately. 
You could do two switches as well if you wanted.   :)
Whats the idea with two transformers?

irmcdermott

Quote from: nzCdog on July 13, 2012, 01:48:49 AM
^this
Yes, either use a bigger fuse or fuse the two separately. 
You could do two switches as well if you wanted.   :)
Whats the idea with two transformers?

Well, my plan was to use one to give me the 8 isolated 9V, and use the other to give me 3 isolated 18V, and either another 18V, or maybe a 15V just for kicks.

However, my Weber transformer got here today and it is HUGE. Won't fit in the enclosure (i bought a looper type enclosure for it). According to the website, it measures 2" x 2.5" x 1.5" (see picture below). But I guess I was mistaken and those are the dimensions not including the black mount? All I know is that the thing measures 2.5" x 3" x ~1.75". So, now I don't know what to do. I picked a looper enclosure so that it will mount below my PT-Pro.

A little frustrated, not sure if I should return this, or buy a larger enclosure and just live with it on top of my pedalboard.

irmcdermott

I think I just need to buy a Hammond 1411WU. That should work. Those dimensions are 12" x 3" x 2.2.

So, I may be putting this other looper case up for sale in the emporium.

nzCdog

Oh bummer...  they do tend to take up more space, and that Weber is a healthy size with pretty epic current output :-\
So are you still wanting two of these in your PSU?  I reckon you'd be fine with just one, and instead do a mix of isolated and parallel outputs

irmcdermott

Quote from: nzCdog on July 13, 2012, 04:38:51 AM
Oh bummer...  they do tend to take up more space, and that Weber is a healthy size with pretty epic current output :-\
So are you still wanting two of these in your PSU?  I reckon you'd be fine with just one, and instead do a mix of isolated and parallel outputs

Yeah.  Now that I have the one, I'm going to mix up the isolated and parallel. Thanks again for the replies