News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

B'Day Amp Build

Started by raulduke, July 16, 2012, 02:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

I finally got a chance to finish up my Ampmaker SE5A over the weekend. Was a nice chilled way to spend some of the time on my B'day  :D !

First impressions is that is is a cool amp; totally different character to the Ampmaker WF55 (champ clone) that I have built previously (which totally figures).

It totally sings with my Les Paul, where as the WF55 prefers my Tele/Strats.

Its also quieter than the WF55; which makes sense as the TMB tonestack will be cutting a lot of dB's out of the signal (both amps have 1 power valve).

I've not had much of a chance of really burning it in yet but there is time.

I'm already planning mods. First one is to add a 'gain boost' cathode bypass cap (prob 10uF) to the first preamp valve. I installed a push/pull pot so that should be really easy. I may also mod the tonestack at some point. I'ts trebly enough for my taste so I definitely won't be adding any treble bypass caps.

The head cab was made by 'Cabs by Chris' his work can be seen on the Ampmaker website. Its really cool. I may have to get myself a matching cab.

I cannot recommend Ampmaker.co.uk highly enough. I didn't have to ask Barry (the owner) a single question about the build, which I thinks speaks volumes about how good his instructions are. The build info is really straightforward. I have been building this thing on/off for about 4 months though (half an hour here and there) so I definitely took my time with it.

Hope you like the pics, I'm pretty happy with the neatness of my wiring on this!

juansolo

Awesome.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Double Six which should arrive in a week or so time. Haven't decided on the cab for it yet, but am likely to go with a Chris cab. Being sensible says get the head cab. But part of me wants to make it into a 2x10 combo.... hmmmm.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Bluestrat

Wow! Super clean. Great work!

alanp

Very clean! You'd better be careful, though -- amp builds can get addictive!

The good thing about single ended builds is that you can't get the leads from the phase inverter to the power valves the wrong way around -- my JCM800 squealed like a pig first time I powered it up.

Which school is it, Vox or Marshall?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

awesome.  I want to build an amp so bad but I'm afraid I'd become an addict.

and oh yeah.....happy b-day, my friend!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

raulduke

Cheers Dude!

And come on now... you know you want to get into a hobby that is addictive as building pedals, 10x more expensive, and, to top it off, can also kill you  :D!!!

Haberdasher

Quote from: raulduke on July 16, 2012, 08:18:51 AM
Cheers Dude!

And come on now... you know you want to get into a hobby that is addictive as building pedals, 10x more expensive, and, to top it off, can also kill you  :D!!!
yes, it is actually quite tempting, haha!  except for the death part.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

night-B

Beautiful amp! And happy birthday dude  ;)

pryde

Fantastic looking build. I was considering a SE5-A for my next build. I just finished a 5e3 so i have clearly developed yet another addiction  ;)

How does she sound? 

raulduke

Thanks for the comments guys.

Also, she sounds good mate.

Its a lot more versatile than the Champ so I am still 'bedding in' with it. Like most amps, it sounds best cranked and working the power stage.

I'm usually a Fender amp guy (never owned a Marshall style) amp, so this was quite a departure for me.

Suits my Les Paul far better than my Champ clone does. I guess this is due to the reduced bass response and increased treble; it just 'works' with an LP.

nzCdog

Gorgeous colour and very tidy wiring/finishing.  Well done!

GrindCustoms

Oh! the Beauty! Everything have been said, superb built from all aspects. 8)

I'm looking at the Double Six quite seriously since you teased us at BYOC, being able to have a small amp that runs on a 6L6 is just perfect for me :)

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

Yeah, I need to build an amp or 4.  What a beauty that is.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

Wow, it is tempting to just jump in with this rather than modding my existing amp! That looks awesome. And it looks way less impossible than I used to imagine an amp build would look.