News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring up a 9V "daisy chain"

Started by DutchMF, July 19, 2012, 08:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Does anybody know if it's actually as easy as connecting all the centers and all the sleaves of a bunch of 9V jacks to create my own power "daisy chain"? In other words: all plugs, except the last one, would have four wires connected to them.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

What you're asking about is series or parallel. Basically, the rule goes:

Series = double or half voltage (depending on direction)

Parallel = double or half amperage (depending on direction)

So, if you daisy chain, you have the choice of series or parallel. If you daisy chain on the pedal end, series will give you half the voltage for your pedals. If you parallel on the pedal end, you will have equal voltage but share the current.

Parallel means that all the red wires connect, all the black connect. Series means you connect positives to negatives with the positive at one end and the negative at the other connecting to your source.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Thanks Jacob, so parallel it is! I don't want to run my pedals on 4,5V, and my Fueltank Jr. (made by T-rex) puts out 120 mA per output, so 2 pedals on 1 output should work fine, if I choose the right combinations. I'm planning on running the pedals that have a high mA requirement on their own output anyway, so parallel should work fine.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"