News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aqua Velvet (MN3007 Pork Barrel)

Started by mgwhit, July 20, 2012, 01:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

I had bigger plans for this build, but, after watching the completed board languish for months while I never got around to those bigger plans, I decided to just go ahead and box the sucker.

First off, I was planning to actually do some nice graphics on white-background laser printer waterslides, but my graphics skills are awful and I could never get anything I was happy with.  As usual, I fell back to my old text-only "let the name do the talking" graphic style.  The Mammoth enclosure had a LOT of flaws (you can see one up by the 'A' along the top), but I think I covered most of them up.  I ended up liking the color more once I got a few coats of clear on it and the whole thing assembled.  I think it looks pretty retro-spiffy.

I had also gone back and forth about cramming a Road Rage into this guy.  I tested it at 12V when I built it, and it does sound noticeably better than 9V.  However I must've designed the decal when I was in a "no Road Rage" period.  Once I realized I had already labeled it "9-15VDC" I decided that adding the Road Rage was a recipe for future disaster.  I can live with this.

Check in the lower left corner.  I was so concerned about making room for my jacks that I accidentally drilled the hole for my power jack too close to the screw well.  I can't take the nut all the way to the wall of the enclosure, but it's holding just fine.

I also socketed R39 in case I decided to do the LFO indicator mod.  I even bought a light plate for this, but wasn't happy with how it fit the enclosure -- it's a bit larger.  I'm putting this on the "maybe one of these days" list.

My only real mod to the circuit was that I subbed a 4580DD for the 4558 in IC1.  I think it took some middiness out of the signal and added some sparkle.  I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried another dual op-amp here.

All in all, I'm happy with the appearance and thrilled with the sound.

greyscales

Love the color and text only decal. Looks very professional IMO. There's a lot crammed into that thing when you think about it! Can't imagine stuffing a RR in there.

Bret608

Hey, don't be hard on yourself! I agree that this looks awesome. The whole package works really well together. See my build report below--I was too impatient to even attempt a decal for my PB!

Which Mammoth color is this? I wonder if PPP has an equivalent. Also, what is the font you used?

I ended up using a gtr2 3PDT board also. Looks tight in the space but I found it made the wiring much cleaner!

mgwhit

Quote from: greyscales on July 20, 2012, 01:46:40 PM
Love the color and text only decal. Looks very professional IMO. There's a lot crammed into that thing when you think about it!  Can't imagine stuffing a RR in there.

Thanks, greyscales!

eldanko pulled it off the other day (although I didn't wanna try his method): http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5470.0

midwayfair

Quote from: greyscales on July 20, 2012, 01:46:40 PMCan't imagine stuffing a RR in there.

He could just stack it between the rate pot and the in jack under the main board. The RR isn't that big.

mgwhit

Quote from: Bret608 on July 20, 2012, 01:58:34 PM
Hey, don't be hard on yourself! I agree that this looks awesome. The whole package works really well together. See my build report below--I was too impatient to even attempt a decal for my PB!

Which Mammoth color is this? I wonder if PPP has an equivalent. Also, what is the font you used?

I ended up using a gtr2 3PDT board also. Looks tight in the space but I found it made the wiring much cleaner!

Thanks, Bret!  The color was Seafoam Green and the font is Orlando.  I wanted it to look like an old Aqua Velva logo that I found online somewhere.

I love gtr2's 3PDT boards, but I have a tendency to drill my input/output jacks too close to the 3PDT where they get in the way of the board.  I drilled these very low and then used the enclosed jacks so that I could finally get it straight.

mgwhit

Quote from: midwayfair on July 20, 2012, 02:09:17 PM
He could just stack it between the rate pot and the in jack under the main board. The RR isn't that big.

That was actually my plan.  I was going to use some mini electrolytics that I had bought for my baby boards to keep it short.  I had room, but was a bit nervous about it.

greyscales

Clearly you guys are better at planning than I am.  ;)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

very nice

I found that with standard (7mm?) lytics on a road rage it will lift the board up too high.
sadly all my mini lytics are 16v. Need to hunt for some 10uF and 100uF in 25v or up.

mgwhit

Yeah, I was looking at your Current Lover and wondering if you could really pull it off.  I ordered these 5mm tall 25V 10uF, 47uF, and 100uF minis from Mouser.  Not making anyone any guarantees, but it's as close as you're gonna get.

LaceSensor

Quote from: mgwhit on July 22, 2012, 03:39:22 PM
Yeah, I was looking at your Current Lover and wondering if you could really pull it off.  I ordered these 5mm tall 25V 10uF, 47uF, and 100uF minis from Mouser.  Not making anyone any guarantees, but it's as close as you're gonna get.

It works with the CL because its a 125b case which is a bit taller.

1590 style boxes = nope