News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Engineer's Thumb Comp

Started by Haberdasher, July 24, 2012, 06:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

I had wet sanded this box over a year ago and never used it so I thought I'd put this inside.  I won't be preparing an enclosure that way again unless I get a nice orbital sander.  Way too much work by hand.

I'm kind of at a loss for graphics.  I know The Engineer's Thumb is a Sherlock Holmes story but I don't think I ever read that one, haha.  I may just label the knobs and be done with it.  Or maybe just a simple thumbs-up graphic.  If I ever add anything I guess I'll update this thread.  I do need to go back in and install an indicator led.

Very nice sound from this comp, and DEAD quiet.  In sound I think it's similar maybe to a ross but I may like this better, it's very clean and silent.  I was using it in front of the boneyard on a lower gain setting last night and it was sort of jaw dropping how silent it was after releasing a chord.  Crickets!

Not very exciting to look at, but here she is.

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Bret608

Where does this circuit originate? Love that slanted resistor. Racy!

midwayfair

Awesomesauce! Millenium bypass and all. :) Can't say enough good things about this compressor.

The story involved a hydraulic press used for minting counterfeit coins. I also had a tough time coming up with a graphic; in the end I made a hydraulic press diagram that looked like a thumbs up. I think the picture in the Wikipedia article is the original magazine illustration. There was nothing in my omnibus or my copy of The Adventures.

Edit: This image would look ridiculously hot as an etch on bare aluminum.

Haberdasher

Quote from: Bret608 on July 24, 2012, 07:08:16 AM
Where does this circuit originate? Love that slanted resistor. Racy!
Oh, my bad.  This is a circuit by ValveWizard whom I think also goes by the name merlinb.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97123.0

The slanted one is actually a 0 ohm jumper.  I thought it would look cooler than a wire.  There are a few of them in there. ;)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Quote from: midwayfair on July 24, 2012, 07:17:36 AM
Awesomesauce! Millenium bypass and all. :) Can't say enough good things about this compressor.

The story involved a hydraulic press used for minting counterfeit coins. I also had a tough time coming up with a graphic; in the end I made a hydraulic press diagram that looked like a thumbs up. I think the picture in the Wikipedia article is the original magazine illustration. There was nothing in my omnibus or my copy of The Adventures.

Edit: This image would look ridiculously hot as an etch on bare aluminum.
Thanks man!  I'm liking it too!

That looks like the same image valvewizard used on his box in the pdf.  That would be a sick etch, but it might be tough to pull off with all the gray midtones in there.  I've never tried etching an enclosure before.  I'll have to think about it.

I was kind of leaning toward something simpler like this

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

k.rock!

Nice man! I thought of something like a newspaper/collage type thing that kinda presents a few scenes from the book and overlayed a picture of Sherlock...I don't have access to Photoshop right now so I put this together real quick on Paint.Net haha...but it's basically the same idea midwayfair suggested :)

What do u think?

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

k.rock!

I like the simple thumb as well haha I love minimal pedals a lot :P:D

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

angrykoko

Nice!!  Darn, I was hoping to be the first to build this one after the mictester comp was built by jimmybjj.
It was quite an epic read on fsb between the mictester and merlin when merlin posted it there.

Your layout looks different then the one from merlin.. you made your own?
I don't see as many jumpers as I remember...

I've had all the parts to build this at home for a month now, just lacked the time to etch the board.. maybe I'll get that done tonight.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jimmybjj

Nice. How do you like the buffered pass?
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

Quote from: angrykoko on July 24, 2012, 09:54:04 AM
Nice!!  Darn, I was hoping to be the first to build this one after the mictester comp was built by jimmybjj.
It was quite an epic read on fsb between the mictester and merlin when merlin posted it there.

Your layout looks different then the one from merlin.. you made your own?
I don't see as many jumpers as I remember...

I've had all the parts to build this at home for a month now, just lacked the time to etch the board.. maybe I'll get that done tonight.

oops, sorry mang.  I've had this built for a few weeks but never tested it or boxed it up.  finally got around to it over the weekend.  I think it's worth building.  I might try the mictester later.

this is the merlin layout from the pdf.  I used a bunch of 0 ohm resistors instead of bare wire jumpers, so i guess that's why it may appear different than what you were looking for.

Quote from: jimmybjj on July 24, 2012, 10:08:37 AM
Nice. How do you like the buffered pass?
I'll have to get back to you on that.  I should probably reserve judgement until I A/B it against something else and hook up some more stuff in the chain.  So far the bypassed signal hasn't bothered me....

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Quote from: k.rock! on July 24, 2012, 07:29:33 AM
I like the simple thumb as well haha I love minimal pedals a lot :P:D

-K
yes, the simplified route may be best for this, but I'm still toying with the idea of etching the enclosure.  Eye knead two due sum research.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

atreidesheir

Just get a thumbprint from a random engineer.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

nzCdog

Nice build Hab!  That gnarley old benchtop sets of the finish nicely too