News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bear-o-Dactyl Double Fuzz Face

Started by eldanko, July 24, 2012, 11:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

This one has been in the work for months, and is the product of parts and ideas from many different people, whom I will try to thank one by one in the following description!

The Bear-o-Dactyl Double Fuzz is an NPN and a PNP Fuzz Face in one box with order switching.  The PNP side was built on a board by our own gtr2 (thanks Josh!) that has an onboard polarity-flipping charge pump.  The NPN side is actually my first stripboard build EVAR, and it came out great.  This was probably the most wiring I've ever had to do in a pedal, and I'm actually pretty pleased with how "tidy" it is given how much is going on in there.

The PNP transistors are some 2SB175s that I have a small stash of, and they have a good bit of gain to them.  Quite hairy, strong midrange, lots of sustain.

The NPN side has a 2N1304 in Q1 and a 2N1306 in Q2.  I'm getting less gain on this side, but a MUCH fuller bottom end with just a killer overall tone.  Just massive and fun.

When both sides are on together... endless sustain, but not without a nice share of good ol noise  ;D  In hindsight, the order switcher might have been a bit superfluous, as it really only sounds good with the PNP side first.  Nevertheless, it's cool to have it on there just for experimentation!

Only regret: should have labeled the two sides "PNP/NPN" instead of "Germanium/Silicon" as I ended up going germanium on both sides...  :P

A few of the mojo caps came from a PIF by LaceSensor (thanks Ian!) and the NPN transistors came from JakeFuzz (thanks Paul!).  You guys all rock.  Also, graphics inspired by/borrowed from www.theoatmeal.com.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

jimmybjj

Looks great man, always love your graphics.
Pcbs no longer available

eldanko

Haa thanks!  Can't take too much credit, as it's borrowed from the Oatmeal... need to add that to the list of thank-yous... OP amended  ;)
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

midwayfair

icecycle66

I think this particular build calls for a demo.

I'd like to hear the different NPN/PNP orders to see how they sound lined up.

JakeFuzz

Yes!!! I am so excited to see this one up and running. It's really crazy to hear how different pnp and npn transistors sound. I have found similar results in my tests. NPN's tend to have a smoother, darker character. I personally like the NPN's. You should definitely demo these, I too would love to hear how they stack up. Great looking build.

TNblueshawk

Holy crap that is one cool pedal ED!
John

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigrigg

I thought Bear O Dactyl's went extinct millions of years ago??  :o
Very cool.

Bret608

Man, I would love to hear those stacked! Let me echo the call for a demo.

Glad I'm not the only one who still hasn't made use of all my PIF parts!  ;)  I've got my Cosmo board finished which will feature one of Paul's 2n1306s. I think I'll have LaceSensor's Millenium switching in that one...

nzCdog