News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosallus chips

Started by gordo, June 04, 2012, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Sounds like a new Frito-Lay product.  Anyway I've built up the Collosallus and I can hear a distinct short delay but no modulation.  My voltages on IC4 and beyond are pretty messed up and all controls don't really appear to do anything.  Board and parts are triple checked so I suspect a chip or trans. Could the 4013 be creating the havoc? I'm getting delay so suspect the MN4007 is good (although voltages are off).  I've swapped out multiple 4049s.  I'm banking on the fact that I haven't torched the 4007...

I can post numbers if needed but before I order more 4013s (only have one on hand) I thought I'd see if anyone else ran into this.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Scruffie

If you hear delay your BBD is working and the clock is working (no 4013, no delay) does the manual control change the sound as it's turned?

Something prior to the 4013 is wrong, voltages needed as usual, ICs 3,4,5,6 & 9 Q1-4.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Scruffie I'm back.  Good to be busy, but it's eating into my pedal building time  :P

Anyway, here's the report so far.  I'm running the pedal from a regulated 9V source.  All is in spec till I get to the front of IC4:

1 - 2.222v
2 - 2.222v
3 - 2.010v
4 - 0
5 - 7.36v
6 - 7.39v
7 - 7.44v
8 - 14.78v

It all goes goofy from that point on.  All components before IC4A look good.  Any ideas?
Gordy Power

gordo

I've got all voltages on track but the LFO is not LFOing...  I think at this point after 10-12 hours of troubleshooting that the board is pretty much pooched so I'm going to pack it in on this one.  I thought I had pretty good troubleshooting chops but this one is a head scratcher.

I think I jinxed myself by finishing the case first and then building it.  :-\

Gordy Power

Scruffie

Quote from: gordo on June 15, 2012, 10:39:43 PM
Scruffie I'm back.  Good to be busy, but it's eating into my pedal building time  :P

Anyway, here's the report so far.  I'm running the pedal from a regulated 9V source.  All is in spec till I get to the front of IC4:

1 - 2.222v
2 - 2.222v
3 - 2.010v
4 - 0
5 - 7.36v
6 - 7.39v
7 - 7.44v
8 - 14.78v

It all goes goofy from that point on.  All components before IC4A look good.  Any ideas?

So you're saying that the IC3/IC4A area is all dodgy, what about Q1-4 & IC6?

Doesn't sound like it's gunna be impossible to fix tbh, that's quite a small area to work in, probably something simple.

It's hard to tell without more info though.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Scruffie, thanks for the help but I eventually threw in the towel.  I believe the problem is around the trimmers but if I unsolder anything else the board will fall apart.  I ordered another one and it went together without issues.  I may revisit the old board when I have lots of time on my hands but don't see that happening anytime soon. :P

Great sounding flanger.  Not as deep as I recall the original being but then again it's been a bajillion years since I've played the original.  Very cool and will be a regular on my pedal board.
Gordy Power