News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finally boxed up, Part 1: CJ's Shoot The Moon Trem

Started by DutchMF, August 05, 2012, 12:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

This has been lying in the crate that houses my tools and supplies for a couple of weeks now and I finally boxed it up. It has been tested (weeks ago) and works, but I can't try it out right now, as my power supply is at the rehearsal space and I don't have any batteries/clips, but that will be sorted tomorrow. Very nice sounding trem, gonna get a space on my board for sure. Thanks to CJ for the great board!

Top-mounted jacks:

Guts:

Let me know what you think, I'll probably be posting some more today.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

mjcyates

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

Nice! I need to try a black on black pedal, they look sick

wolfingsworth

DutchMF

Quote from: culturejam on August 06, 2012, 04:36:46 AM
Jameco!

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_141111_-1

Nope, that is a different one, I got mine from Banzai. They have a nice selection of bezels. I sent some over to JakeFuzz some time ago, PM me if you would like to set something up!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pickdropper

Very nice build.  I dig the funky shaped enclosure on that one.

I finally got around to populating one of my Shoot the Moon PCBs.  I held off because I already have built two tremolo pedals.  It is a fantastic sounding circuit.  I never realized I wanted the full chop trem until I built this.  I'll have to get it boxed and on the pedal board soon.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

Oh wow...this does the full chop thing and with that low of a parts count? Intriguing! Love the black on black look.

midwayfair

Quote from: Bret608 on August 06, 2012, 01:44:50 PM
Oh wow...this does the full chop thing and with that low of a parts count?

Erm, it's not really meant to I think. It goes almost square to almost sine. The wave knob gives a lot of subtle variations between the two extremes, but it's mostly "square-ish". I'm sure you could change some values to get more square. The easiest place on this one, just a guess here according to some of CJ's explanations, would be to jumper R7, and this would allow the LED driving the LDR to shut off faster. EDIT: Actually, don't do this. I think it'll shunt the signal completely.

It doesn't require extra parts to get what will be perceived as a square wave out of most designs. (In fact, the simplest usable pure square wave tremolo design is a 555 timer chip with input and output buffers.) You just need lots of gain and a fast swing between "on" and "off". There are several common designs I've found this works on: You can plug a Darlington transistor into an EA trem, turn down the volume pot to get unity on the peaks, and the troughs will be super quiet in comparison. The actual shape of the wave will be sine but it will sound square. In optical trems, the greater the difference between the dark and on resistance in the LDR and the shorter the light memory, the greater percieved squareness of the wave.

CJ's Stutter Trem was a different matter all together. That one actually shunted the signal, creating a pure

EDIT: Cool build, Paul. You might have an all-black pedalboard going here!