News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Firebomb Pot Tapers

Started by buckysde, November 01, 2010, 10:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckysde

I have just ordered my parts to build the Firebomb.  However, I have been unable to find 9mm panel mount pots 5k audio taper (A).  Smallbear has 5k reverse audio (C) and 10k audio (A).  I opted for the 10kA.  But what would be the over all effect of the higher pots?  Would they be louder?

jkokura

Hey man,

I just checked the documentation - the project calls for 5kC pots, not A. So there's no problem then right?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

buckysde

You're right Jacob.  I was receiving varied info on what the taper codes mean.  Eventually I found a chart on the GGG site.  So I should probably use that as the guide.  Smallbear does not have the codes listed on their website, which added to the confusion.

With that said, I now have 10kA pots on the way.  I would rather not shell out $5 shipping on new pots.  What might the affect be with 10kA pots instead?

Thanks for the quick response Jacob!

-Rick

jkokura

Well, think of it this way - you're using a 10k resistor instead of a 5k resistor. You've doubled it's value.

What will it sound like? well, it might be fine. But I suspect it'd be more likely that you'll get most of the 'play' in the boost signal in the first half of the turn, and then some distortion or a lack of difference in the back half. I don't know though - so try it and see! You might just get lots, and lots, and lots of boost on your hands.

When it comes to the types of pots, I find it simple to remember my A, B and C's! B is in the middle right? So that means linear taper. A is on the bottom, and that means that the curve is below the linear taper, meaning there's a lot more play in the beginning and middle, but towards the end it catches up to the Linear taper. Then C is on top - think of it mirroring the A taper - it's opposite of the A taper, so it has a lot more play towards the end of the turning, but early on it's quick to get ahead of the linear taper.

On a graph, think of a straight line starting at the bottom left corner headed to the top right corner: that's Linear of B Taper. If you were to make a curve line BELOW the linear taper: that's Audio or A Taper. If you were to make an opposite curved line ABOVE the Linear taper: that's Reverse Audio or C Taper. Simple!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

buckysde

Many Thanks!

This hobby appeals to the mad-scientist in us all.

Cheers!

gtr2

You might be able to email Steve from Small Bear (if thats were you ordered ;)) and make the change.  I've done it before, as it may be a couple days till the order is shipped out.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

If your order has not shipped, you can generally change it by emailing them. They are pretty awesome that way!

buckysde

I was able to make the change with Small Bear.  But this also allowed me to learn more about pots and how they work.  Thanks for everyone's input!