News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Vintage Revolution" digital control of analog effects

Started by jtn191, August 23, 2012, 10:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asatbluesboy

For the control thing, maybe some assignable digital knobs, Magicstomp-style? Make'em a dozen and I'll be happy... ;D

RogerAxetrample

Quote from: asatbluesboy on September 07, 2012, 02:15:15 AM
For the control thing, maybe some assignable digital knobs, Magicstomp-style? Make'em a dozen and I'll be happy... ;D

Hey asatbluesboy,
thanks! Yeah that looks like a cool way to do it. But if there's a dozen of them why'd assign them? They could easily cover all parameters for any single effect at one time, right? Or do you mean being able to assign parameters from different effects? And would you use them for editing presets or also for tweaking a loaded preset during playing?
best,
Roger

asatbluesboy

Quote from: RogerAxetrample on September 07, 2012, 07:13:10 AMBut if there's a dozen of them why'd assign them? They could easily cover all parameters for any single effect at one time, right? Or do you mean being able to assign parameters from different effects?
I was thinking about the latter.
QuoteAnd would you use them for editing presets or also for tweaking a loaded preset during playing?
If it were an either/or situation, I'd pick live tweaking over editing presets. Firstly because it's always fun to be able to motorboat delays and whatnot and have a fun noisy moment on stage. Secondly because after you had your fun noisy moment you'd like your presets back to normal--though I know it should be quite easy to have the pots not affecting the presets (unless there was a "store" button like the MS2). Thirdly because you should edit presets at home/your rehearsal space, worst case scenario during soundcheck, but not during a gig. Being also able to do it would be cool, but not nearly as functional IMHO.

RogerAxetrample

Quote from: asatbluesboy on September 11, 2012, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: RogerAxetrample on September 07, 2012, 07:13:10 AMBut if there's a dozen of them why'd assign them? They could easily cover all parameters for any single effect at one time, right? Or do you mean being able to assign parameters from different effects?
I was thinking about the latter.
QuoteAnd would you use them for editing presets or also for tweaking a loaded preset during playing?
If it were an either/or situation, I'd pick live tweaking over editing presets. Firstly because it's always fun to be able to motorboat delays and whatnot and have a fun noisy moment on stage. Secondly because after you had your fun noisy moment you'd like your presets back to normal--though I know it should be quite easy to have the pots not affecting the presets (unless there was a "store" button like the MS2). Thirdly because you should edit presets at home/your rehearsal space, worst case scenario during soundcheck, but not during a gig. Being also able to do it would be cool, but not nearly as functional IMHO.
Hi asatbluesboy,
thanks, that's clear. Indeed that would be a cool way to do it. The Eventide stompboxes have a similar way of working: you load a preset and then tweaking the buttons lets you change parameters live. Only thing that they couldn't solve is that there is no way of telling what the programmed value was, because the pots could be set anywhere when you start turning them. But you can always revert to the initial preset as you say.
But for programming the pots to work certain parameters of different effects, would you program that PER preset or would you want it to be something global that you program once and then it works across all presets?
Roger

asatbluesboy

RogerAxetrample

Quote from: asatbluesboy on September 12, 2012, 11:46:07 AM
I thought it could be a per bank sort of thing.

Hi Asatbluesboy,

thanks, yes that could work! Since right now in favorites mode there's 3 banks of 6 presets, it makes total sense to program the pots to work on separate banks of 6.
cool! take care,
Roger