News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Kingslayer build

Started by Haberdasher, September 16, 2012, 07:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on September 17, 2012, 05:45:19 AM
Hmm...that's a stumper. Do you have continuity between lug1 of the Vol pot and ground? There's no change at all when you turn the Vol pot?
OK I just checked.  There is continuity between lg1 vol to ground so that's not it.
No change at all with adjustment to either vol or tone pots.  The only knob that works is the dual gang which goes from clean/silent at ccw to max dirt/loud at cw.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Bret608

Aww man, this looks amazing! I wish I had something to offer on those volume and tone pots. Is there maybe a bridge somewhere before them in the path that's dumping the signal to ground?

madbean

What about resistance change between the wiper and two outer lugs as you turn the pot up and down? Maybe the wafer is bad....both volume and tone are 10k---could be a bad source of pots. If you have output but no attenuation that seems like a possibility.

bmcash

Love the build.  Also, like the "say no to klones" comment on the board.

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on September 17, 2012, 09:51:15 AM
What about resistance change between the wiper and two outer lugs as you turn the pot up and down? Maybe the wafer is bad....both volume and tone are 10k---could be a bad source of pots. If you have output but no attenuation that seems like a possibility.
I tested that.  The numbers change as the pot is turned whether it be from lug 1 to 2 or 2 to 3.  The outside lugs show roughly 10k.  Unfortunately I don't think they are bad pots.
I find it weird that both those pots are doing the same thing though.  It almost seems like both pots are behaving as a fixed resistor (the pedal is very loud at max dirt) but I can see the values change on the dmm when the knobs are turned.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jkokura

Keefe, I feel like you're pulling our legs at this point! I know you're not, it's just that what you're describing seems impossible. I can't believe you haven't pulled all your hair out yet.

From what I can tell by the schem, there MUST be a short somewhere. What's perplexing me the most is the volume pot, which really just acts as a variable resistor.

From your gut shots, it doesn't look like you have anything wired to the Output pad. What's with that? Where have your got your output wire connected to?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

Probably a silly question, but have you checked your solder joint on the grounded leg? Continuity between the pot leg and ground, I mean.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on September 17, 2012, 12:25:28 PMI can't believe you haven't pulled all your hair out yet.

El Duerino does NOT get flustered.

This is absolutely bizarre, though. There aren't any common traces between the two pots, and clearly it's not something grounding on the enclosure etc. because you still have sound.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some sort of flaw in the board itself. Check continuity along all the traces from the lugs of the pots themselves?
Edit: strikeout to avoid any future confusion.

Haberdasher

Eagle Eye Jacob Kokura found it!  I'm really glad I saw your post jacob because I was just about to solder in some new pots haha.

Don't ask me why, but when a true bypass kingslayer has the output wire connected to the X pad that is what happens.  I knew it had to be something silly on my part, but everything works as it should now.

Many thanks!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

BTW, I shave my head so there is no hair to pull out except on my chinny chin chin.  :)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jkokura

Basically, you're taking the signal after the first gain stage (after the gain knob and clipping) but before the tone section. That's why.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

Quote from: jkokura on September 17, 2012, 01:16:00 PM
Basically, you're taking the signal after the first gain stage (after the gain knob and clipping) but before the tone section. That's why.

Jacob
i see.  yes that makes perfect sense.  thanks again!

I like this better than my sunking actually.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

alanp

So, two 5mm red LEDs and 2x (2xBAT41 in series) for the optional clipping? Worked well?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

Quote from: alanp on September 17, 2012, 03:47:41 PM
So, two 5mm red LEDs and 2x (2xBAT41 in series) for the optional clipping? Worked well?
Yeah it seems to be good; at the very least there's nothing that sounds like it needs changing imho.  I like the leds the most i think.    The others are actually BAT46 in series fwiw.
I just built it stock the way it was mentioned in the doc because I didn't have the experimentation bug at the time.  I may eventually regret not socketing those but I doubt it.  the only change I may make is replacing the germs with OA126's i got from midwayfair.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: