News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cavedweller Dub Edition and Rub-A-Dub Reverb

Started by alanp, August 26, 2012, 03:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Went with a simple blue for the 'verb, one knob (Mix). It's based on 1776's Rub-A-Dub board, with the new small Accutronics brick (long version.)

The Cave Dweller is the Dub Edition, from Madbean, etched by Cdog.

The verb board is upside down cos that's how it wound up being easiest to get the lid on, with the chunky brick and the flange on the lid. The Cavedweller board... that's a bit more complicated.

It worked with the back off, and the wires holding the board away from everything else on a bit of icecream container on the floor. Then I bolted the back on and tried it. The copper traces were shorting, so I put some insulating tape on the back of the PCB. Bolt the back on. No work. Take it off... duh, the board is long enough that the stand up resistors on the end of it are shorting on the jacks.

Screw it, I smothered the board in tape and bolted it back up. Good as gold, now.

(... told you it had stand up resistors.)

Tried both at music practice on Friday. The reverb is AMAZING. Screw the EHX Cathedral, I'm going to be very happy with just this. The Cavedweller... I had hoped I could replace the relatively big Dirtbag with it, but (to my ears) it doesn't sound as good.

It has a lot of character, though, and the Mix mod on it can do some nutty stuff with oscillation. Fun little toy. And I still need to explore what the Dwell knob on it can do.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Nice work Alan 8)  Where would we be without the odd smidge of electrical tape I say.  Glad you got the Cavedweller running :)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

alanp

Smallbear's painted 1590B enclosures. SB's painted enclosures are starting to grow on me, they look so much nicer than the bare metal ones, and I don't have to do any actual painting myself  ;D
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

This is going to sound stupid, but I love this pedal partly because of the name. Dub Edition Cavedweller... my mind thinks of a cross between Merlin frozen in time in his cave, Kraftwerk, and Kaikoura (as in Salmonella Dub.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

nzCdog

wolfingsworth

Care to do a demo of the cavedweller dub? I am trying to decide which one to build...

alanp

The dub edition is VERY pulsating and tempo orientated compared to the Dirtbag Delay. I haven't built the original Cavedweller as a comparison, mind you.

And I'm afraid I don't have the gear to do a recording, plus you probably wouldn't want to hear me play :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Plastikote rattle can clearcoat has started to flake off on some of my pedals, so I tried using nailpolish on top of indian ink.

Great care is needed, as apparently clear nail polish makes indian ink run  >:(

I think I might ask if you can get black nail polish next time. I heard that Jimi painted one of his guitars using nail polish once.
- Terry Pratchett
My website