News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New here

Started by CK1, November 09, 2010, 06:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK1

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a few days and finally decided to jump in.  I'm a electronics fan, but a pedal-making n00b, so I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions!  I'm trying to decide what to make first, so comments welcome.  I'm considering the Cupcake, Serendipity, or Egodriver first (at least while I'm waiting for an official version of the Riot clone!).  Thoughts?

Thanks to all (especially madbean) for participating in such a cool forum so I can ask questions and learn here.  Cheers!

CK

CRBMoA

Welcome aboard!

I didn't check your list, but if you look on Madbean's product page, the circuits are rated for difficulty, and the ratings are quite accurate.

I would also suggest getting some solder and components and practicing your soldering skills.

I have repaired ALOT of builds the past couple of years from frustrated new builders.
90% of the problems have come from poor solder technique.

The other 10% of the problems came from using the incorrect parts, improperly connecting the correct parts or failure to understand the instructions.

Madbean's build documents are easy to understand, and there is a lot of help available here if you have questions.

Welcome to your new addiction!

madbean

Welcome, CK1. Glad to have you as a member.

As for getting started, I suggest a boost as they are usually small in parts count and effort required. Plus, there's almost always an application for them. My personal favorites are the "Slambox", "Thunderpuss" and "FatPants". Those are listed in order of difficulty with the Slambox being the easiest build by far.

Anyway, feel free to browse and ask questions. There are all levels of members here, and luckily there are a number of members who go out of their way to answer even elementary questions...me included, when I have time :)

jkokura

Brian, I've often recommended to new builders to try a kit first, something that will let them try the hobby of building without all the headache of sourcing parts and all that. There are a couple places we all know do that, so is it bad manners to suggest some of them here? Obviously, if you had a beginner's kit here I would recommend that first, but until you release a 'slambox' kit or something like that, I would have to recommend another place. Thoughts?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

CK1

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions, fellows!  I may do a boost first, after all.

eniacmike

I agree that the hardest thing when starting out is sourcing the parts.

The beavis audio website has a ton of useful information for beginners.  especially his beavis board projects that you can build on a solderless breadboard to find out how things work.

http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/docs/manual.htm
http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/

If you want to practice soldering it might be a good idea to get a little kit. Like the vellman kits you can usually pick them up for around $15 and make a "super hearing ear" or something like that.

mjcyates

I would go with the Fatpants. It is a fairly simple build and it sounds really good.

CK1

Quote from: mjcyates on November 09, 2010, 12:21:09 PM
I would go with the Fatpants. It is a fairly simple build and it sounds really good.

I appreciate the suggestion.  I've not used any of the boost pedals listed on the site, so I was going to ask which one you all might recommend for sonic reasons. 

CK1

Quote from: eniacmike on November 09, 2010, 11:11:45 AM
I agree that the hardest thing when starting out is sourcing the parts.

The beavis audio website has a ton of useful information for beginners.  especially his beavis board projects that you can build on a solderless breadboard to find out how things work.

http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/docs/manual.htm
http://beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/

If you want to practice soldering it might be a good idea to get a little kit. Like the vellman kits you can usually pick them up for around $15 and make a "super hearing ear" or something like that.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check these links out and see what I can find.

CK1

Quote from: CRBMoA on November 09, 2010, 08:48:21 AM
Welcome aboard!

I didn't check your list, but if you look on Madbean's product page, the circuits are rated for difficulty, and the ratings are quite accurate.

I would also suggest getting some solder and components and practicing your soldering skills.

I have repaired ALOT of builds the past couple of years from frustrated new builders.
90% of the problems have come from poor solder technique.

The other 10% of the problems came from using the incorrect parts, improperly connecting the correct parts or failure to understand the instructions.

Madbean's build documents are easy to understand, and there is a lot of help available here if you have questions.

Welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks for the tips!  Although I'm a pedal n00b, I've done a fair amount of soldering in my life (mostly on guitars), so that's one area I'm not too worried about.  I'm excited to dive in and see what I can do. 

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer