News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LEDs and PCB mounting

Started by Haberdasher, April 18, 2010, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Hi

I'm trying to order parts from smallbear for the Cupcake and Neutrino.  I'm a little confused about LEDs and the way that boards are mounted/situated inside a box.

LEDs:

What size do most people use, 3 or 5mm?  Does it matter what kind/brightness I get?  Are the resistors for the leds already part of the design or am i supposed to add them?

Board Mounting:

Are the boards just kind of suspended by the pots and LED/bezel, or do I need to order some standoffs?

hellllp  :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

lincolnic

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm pretty sure that 5 mm is the standard size. 3 mm LEDs tend to get used more for clipping diodes (anyone more experienced, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The resistors for the LEDs are part of the circuit, so you don't have to add anything extra. Get whatever colors make you happy.

As far as mounting, that's a matter of personal preference. If you're using PCB-mounted pots, then those will suspend the board once mounted in the enclosure. If you're not, the stiffness of the wires should hold the board in place. I use Small Bear's #24 pre-bond wire, and I know some of the other folks here do as well. They might have some more advice, too.

Haberdasher

Thanks for the info, linc!

So I guess when I get around to builing the krunkee I should use 3mm led's since the 2 red led's are listed as diodes?  Is that the way to go, or would 5mm's do just as well?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

The stock Crunchbox uses 5mm for the LED clipping. I don't believe there is a difference in forward voltage between 5mm and 3mm for red diffused LED's, but I haven't checked to be sure. You should be able to fit either on the board, but the 3mm will be a little neater.

Also, most of the boards do have the CLR (current limiting resistor) and pads for the LED indicators. Not all, but most. This is simply for convenience. I find it very tedious to solder resistors to LED's so I avoid it when possible. And, of course, you can run wires from the LED pads on the boards and solder them to your LEDs to free up placement in your enclosure. you can mount them directly to the board, if you like, but they sometimes end up in awkward places on the boards.

For diffuse LEd's a 4k7 is standard for the CLR, and that's what is indicated in most of the projects. Hoever, for high brightness you can actually go much higher in value. I typically use wither 12k or 20k for high brightness types. You still get plenty of light, but the higher values will make your LEDs last longer.

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on April 20, 2010, 07:15:52 PM
The stock Crunchbox uses 5mm for the LED clipping. I don't believe there is a difference in forward voltage between 5mm and 3mm for red diffused LED's, but I haven't checked to be sure. You should be able to fit either on the board, but the 3mm will be a little neater.

Also, most of the boards do have the CLR (current limiting resistor) and pads for the LED indicators. Not all, but most. This is simply for convenience. I find it very tedious to solder resistors to LED's so I avoid it when possible. And, of course, you can run wires from the LED pads on the boards and solder them to your LEDs to free up placement in your enclosure. you can mount them directly to the board, if you like, but they sometimes end up in awkward places on the boards.

For diffuse LEd's a 4k7 is standard for the CLR, and that's what is indicated in most of the projects. Hoever, for high brightness you can actually go much higher in value. I typically use wither 12k or 20k for high brightness types. You still get plenty of light, but the higher values will make your LEDs last longer.

Good info for a beginner like me who is trying to visualize what it all looks like in the box, thanks.   8)

I ordered the high brightness variety for my cupcake and neutrino projects.  To clarify things a bit further, does that mean I should change:

R12 in the cupcake &
R11 in the neutrino?

thanks

P.S. While we're on the diode subject, can I substitute 1n4004's for 1n4001's?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

You can change the value if you find the LED's too bright with the stock value.  like bright LEDs, but not everyone does. I'd say bumping it up to 10k is a safe compromise.

Yes, you can sub 1n4004 for 1n4001 without any issue. Those are for polarity protection in those cases, and will not change the sound of the effect in any way.

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on April 21, 2010, 06:00:46 AM
You can change the value if you find the LED's too bright with the stock value.  like bright LEDs, but not everyone does. I'd say bumping it up to 10k is a safe compromise.

Thanks.  I named the right resistors that would be changed in my previous post then, correct?

Quote from: madbean on April 21, 2010, 06:00:46 AMYes, you can sub 1n4004 for 1n4001 without any issue. Those are for polarity protection in those cases, and will not change the sound of the effect in any way.

Cool, I have a lot of those.
What about in the Bloviator build where you call for a 1n4007?  Do I need to use that value or is 1n400x good there too?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

QuoteThanks.  I named the right resistors that would be changed in my previous post then, correct?

Yes.

What about in the Bloviator build where you call for a 1n4007?  Do I need to use that value or is 1n400x good there too?

Should be fine to use another type: 01, 02, 04, etc.

Haberdasher

The stock Crunchbox uses 5mm for the LED clipping. I don't believe there is a difference in forward voltage between 5mm and 3mm for red diffused LED's....

What about different diffused colors besides red?  Do they have differing forward voltages?
I have some 3mm diffused greens.  Should I stick with reds on the krunkee?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Yay, another dumb questio.

I want to hook up an LED to one of your boards that doesn't have it built in.

I think I need to go from the tip of the dc jack -> resistor -> long leg of LED.?
Assuming that is correct where do I stick the short LED leg using the same 3dpt wiring schema that you provide for your other pedals?  Top left/1A??

thanks for the help!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

irmcdermott

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 16, 2010, 04:16:46 PM

I think I need to go from the tip of the dc jack -> resistor -> long leg of LED.?
Assuming that is correct where do I stick the short LED leg using the same 3dpt wiring schema that you provide for your other pedals?  Top left/1A??

thanks for the help!

Hey man,

No such thing as a dumb question, that's why these forums exist.

Anyway, you're right. I always solder the resistor pretty close to the anode (longer leg) of the LED, than the wire to the other end of the resistor, then i throw some heat shrink over it all before I solder the wire to the DC Jack. Then the wire to the Cathode, put some heat shrink over it, then solder that to the top left lug of the switch.

Like I said, you had it right, just throwing in my two cents on the order I do it in.

Haberdasher

Thank you.  I appreciate the advice too!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

stecykmi

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 18, 2010, 01:43:03 PM
The stock Crunchbox uses 5mm for the LED clipping. I don't believe there is a difference in forward voltage between 5mm and 3mm for red diffused LED's....

What about different diffused colors besides red?  Do they have differing forward voltages?

different leds will have different Vf. if you're using them for clipping purposes, it can make a difference, but if you're using them for an indicator, the difference isn't usually enough to bother changing limiting resistor values for.

in general, red led's have a lower value for Vf than most other types. they will clip a lower voltages than others. you can try looking up a datasheet for a similar led, it will give you a range of values for Vf. I believe your standard red led has a Vf value of 2.1V, while blue led's have Vf's in the 3.6v range.

Haberdasher

Quote from: stecykmi on June 21, 2010, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: Haberdasher on May 18, 2010, 01:43:03 PM

different leds will have different Vf. if you're using them for clipping purposes, it can make a difference, but if you're using them for an indicator, the difference isn't usually enough to bother changing limiting resistor values for.

in general, red led's have a lower value for Vf than most other types. they will clip a lower voltages than others. you can try looking up a datasheet for a similar led, it will give you a range of values for Vf. I believe your standard red led has a Vf value of 2.1V, while blue led's have Vf's in the 3.6v range.

Aha, that's good to know.
I ended up using reds.
thanks!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Quote from: irmcdermott on June 16, 2010, 05:19:30 PM
Quote from: Haberdasher on June 16, 2010, 04:16:46 PM

thanks for the help!

Hey man,

No such thing as a dumb question, that's why these forums exist.

Anyway, you're right. I always solder the resistor pretty close to the anode (longer leg) of the LED, than the wire to the other end of the resistor, then i throw some heat shrink over it all before I solder the wire to the DC Jack. Then the wire to the Cathode, put some heat shrink over it, then solder that to the top left lug of the switch.

Like I said, you had it right, just throwing in my two cents on the order I do it in.

OK, now.  What about a positive ground effect with no DC jack?  What do I do there?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: