News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transistor Power amp in a pedal?

Started by 9Lives, August 29, 2012, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Good morning everyone,

What would happen if I used transistors in the voltage portion of a OD type circuit I've been working on? Would there be any benefit doing this or just wasting parts. I'm guessing some sort of push and pull design. My guess is that it would amplify available current? I'm just think outloud here. Thanks for reading.

Grant

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

midwayfair

Quote from: 9Lives on August 29, 2012, 12:33:43 PM
Good morning everyone,

What would happen if I used transistors in the voltage portion of a OD type circuit I've been working on? Would there be any benefit doing this or just wasting parts. I'm guessing some sort of push and pull design. My guess is that it would amplify available current? I'm just think outloud here. Thanks for reading.

Grant

Do you mean that you want to use a transistor to create gain at the DC sounce instead of the input signal? Like this?
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/modmuamp/modmuamp.htm

This is also, of course, the AMZ Booster, but RG's improvements are worthwhile for noise reduction imo.

I adapted this to my Clipper Ship (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5368.0). Works pretty well to get a lot of headroom and volume when you don't want to push the audio path transistor into saturation.

9Lives

I know I'm horrible at descriptions. I can't view the images at the moment Jon, but similar to the way the power tube section of a tube amp. Mimicing this with transistors in a pedal circuit. Plz forgive my poor post I'm on a cell phone.

culturejam

It's basically just going to add more gain stages. At low voltages, preamp and power amp components essentially act the same (in terms of  headroom).

I did up a tube-to-JFET Valve Jr circuit (with power tube included). It sounds like an overdrive and gives pretty  much no clean at 9v. It's a little better in the low 20s, but still not much headroom.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

EHX Caliber 22/44?  Prolly a schemo out there somewhere

jkokura

Or do you mean building a Power Amp using solidstate devices?

Check out the Tiny Giant project from Music PCBs. Taylor's got a 20 watt solid state option.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

9Lives

if I were to try this with a typical op amp circuit, is there a way to use the push-pull stage with the +- pins of the op amp? Or would I have to power it with the output?... Or both maybe.. I dunno. I'm just tryin to try new things. Seems like everything I try with overdrive ends up 1 of 2 ways.... Screamer... Or D.Boog. Lol I just want a new sound!